• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any of yall draggin your rig with a tahoe?

hey hey hey now some people have modified their toys to be better than stock.

and we dont have rigs for the MPG. im looking for safety, power, and more safety. if you want MPG then sell off your jeep and then your tow rig and buy a hybrid car.

any one got any more imput on my burban and suggestions add ons for better towing shenanigan?

thats the primary drive for my to be getting the big ass road going battle ship. i need the weight and the wheel base. it just happens to be in KILLER shape and meets all my needs for now. plus i have a kid with another on the way and a wife who like space. if mamma is happy EVERY one is happy. it might get a SAS and 2500 drive line one day who knows. for now the 88 XJ is the run about for town and food and stuff, and the burb will be the long distance runs and tow beast.

myself I would try and get into a newer burban with the 5.3 my dad has one with 270K on it (stock drivetrain) and he pulls a big flat bed with it (with tractor weighs about 8K lbs) it does not pull like a diesel by any means but does really good for a SBC. He does have the rear air ride and it is killer! I towed a 26ft wellcraft with my trailblazer and it did accelrate much better than the burban but not even close to as nice of ride with a trailer. Dont get me wrong the 5.7 does good but IMO the 5.3 is that much better,

Bought a Tahoe because it was about the only 1/2 ton that would fit in my small 2 car garage. Pulled OK, sucked on hills and got crap mileage (10 when towing, 10 around town unloaded). And the motor spun two bearings a week after I got it. This is where a lifelong GM guy says "screw it:"

I knew I wanted a diesel but put it off a while. Eventually I couldn't fight it anymore, picked up a crew cab 7.3 Powerstroke the day before WF10. I wanted something capable but still small enough to drive around town (no dualies). This is my DD:

That was me who wrote that. If you're going to use me as a reference at least quote my post. I'm not sure if you're insinuating that pulling an XJ with a Tahoe is foolish or dangerous, but I assure you I did my research beforehand and made sure it would be up to the task. Air bags, good trailer brakes and proper trailer loading go a long way. And although you don't recommend Ford, I spent months doing my due diligence and weighing all the options. Ultimately I wanted an auto so Dodge was right out and the Duramaxes couldn't be had for the money I was willing to spend.

Anyway... honestly the Tahoe did pretty well, I know a couple members who pull with 2000.5+ Tahoes and they do even better. I wish I would have at least got a Suburban though, the extra wheelbase is well worth it.

Brakes will suck on any of the OBS (2000-down) trucks. Worst thing about them.

Bottom line: between a Tahoe and a Burb I'd go with the Burb again, but if you already have the Tahoe and you're careful, I'd stick with that and move up to 3/4 ton later.

im waiting for the other party who is in Haiti to get back for the swap. i love my Tahoe but she is getting replaced. all there is to it. and the wife is onboard with the mods id like to do to the burb, in the name of safety :D

better fuel economy, safety, ;)

Ill call BS on that...I had a 95' 2 door GMC Yukon that weighs a lot less than a Suburban and has the same motor and I was only able to get 18 MPG Max highway and 12 MPG combined.
Feel free. Not my vehicle, I've never driven them. Although I trust my dad to know what he's talking about since it's his fault I'm into cars in the first place. Built a successful drag racer with his buddies back before rich guys were getting involved at the local level, worked motor t in the Corps in Vietnam, and has always in some way or another been involved with cars.

So call BS if you will, but I'll take his word for it.

y EVERY one is happy. it might get a SAS and 2500 drive line one day who knows.
This...well, kinda. The 1/2 ton Burbs are prone to eating 12 bolts. It's a bit of weight for that axle to haul around all the time. If you're lucky, you can find a semi-float 14 bolt ( can you say 454 SS?) that is a much stronger axle, and will be a direct bolt in. The 4L80E in the 2500 is also a much better trans than the 4L60E.
My issue with the SAS is the 6" lift required to do it. I am not a fan of lifted tow rigs, as I think it takes away from towing performance, but that's my opinion.

I went from a 97 5.7L Tahoe to a 99 7.4L Suburban and there is a world of difference.

Back