• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Vibe Thread...

Sent my shaft back to Tom Woods last week. He put a new ujoint in it, said there was no play but since it has been vibrating might cause accelerated wear. He checked the CV end and balance-checked it 3 times. He said it is perfect. I got it back yesterday, had zero faith it would fix the problem. Unfortunately, I was right. Vibes are as bad as ever.

Pinion is 2* lower than the shaft now as per TW. Problem is the rear axle or the tcase.

Thoughts?

My vote is the rear axle. Not for any particular reason. I've been following this thread as it progressed HOPING that one day I'd pop in and the glorious "I found it" quote would sooth my eyes. A rear axle is cheap, easy to swap, and has a LOT more critical meshing/rolling components than a t-case. Cars aren't perfect. Sometimes stuff happens that has literally no plausible explanation. If it were my rig, I would find a buddy with an xj, 2 sets of jack stands, and a days worth of beer and swap out a rear. Then you'll pretty much have narrowed out every possibility. Whatever the root problem ends up being, replace it and don't look back lol. Life is too short to be playing reverse engineer all the time. Keep us updated!!!

Yet another day messing with this thing. I'm getting closer... I put it up on jack stands and put it in gear. I was convinced the problem was in the axle shafts/brake drums. I was wrong. There is an obvious vibration coming from the yoke/pinion on the rear diff. Bent yoke/bad pinion bearing/pinion gear? Keep in mind, this started immediately after a regear. Everyone kept telling me it couldn't be the diff. :doh:

Thoughts? Optical illusion? IMO, the reason this is not felt when the rear driveshaft is not connected is b/c the yoke is not under power and/or the suspension is absorbing the vibration. As noted above, this is NOT play in the shaft/ujoint - it was just checked within 200 miles ago by Tom Wood. As you can see in the video, the tcase output shaft/cv joint is spinning perfectly.

Now, the question is - do I need a new yoke, pinion bearing, pinion gear, etc.? Hmm.

mine started as well directly after my regear to 456.
my rear is perfect. honky tonk badonkadonk.

my front pinion is my issue. 59 mph max before the grumble starts.

Well, an update and THE FIX! I thought I'd update this so anyone searching for vibe threads may come across it & fix their ODD issue. I've never heard of this one before.

As you can read above, I tried just about everything I could think of to chase down this vibe. I've been driving around at 40mph for 10 months, hoping somebody would have the answer. I've spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours troubleshooting this damn thing.

Drumroll please..........

The spring from the pinion seal had fallen off during the re-assembly of my differential (during the regear) and was smashed between the pinion gear and the yoke. :doh:

If you look above, you can see where I took a video of my driveshaft spinning while my XJ was on jackstands. That wobble floored me - even though a shitload of people told me it was an optical illusion. :bs:

I managed to take some flat stock, magnets and a micrometer this weekend and measured a .008" oscillation (?) of the yoke. I thought maybe the yoke was bent during installation or something. So, I decided to pull it off and put a new one on - and replace the seal. What did I find? See below. The pinion seal spring (round spring that holds the shape of the seal around the yoke) was 50% stuck in the pinion gear splines and 50% smashed between the yoke and the mating service. Luckily, I was able to dig out the entire spring!

seal_spring_1.jpg

seal_spring_2.jpg

seal_spring_3.jpg

I immediately took it out on a high-speed run (4.56s and 31s). It runs like a raped ape and will cruise at 75mph SMOOTH AS GLASS. No drones, no vibrations, etc. I've driven it 100 miles since & it is awesome.

Anyone seen this before?

Dude congrats on finding the issue. Glad to see it fixed. another thing to add my list of things that cause vibes...

Bro I know how fulfilling and relieving it is to finally sort these type of things out. Job well done. Also, thanks for posting up the verdict. I seriously think all problem-speculation threads that never reach a conclusion, should be flagged and marked for deletion lol. Again, congats.

.......told ya it was the rear axle ;)

Back