• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amazon Prime.....is it worth it?

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
I do order a bunch of stuff online.....and the 2 day shipping is intriguing for items that are 'prime'.

What is includes is free two-day shipping, a free book every month from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, and more than 40,000 movies and TV episodes. Today they announced new HBO content....I am interested in the Pacific and Band of Brothers actually.

What I don't know is about the streaming. I don't watch much TV but I do have Netflix and it has been bringing the suck as of late.

How is the Amazon content and service? thoughts?

I've had prime for a few years and use it for the free 2 day shipping and the cheap overnight shipping all the time.

I don't use the streaming service very much but when I have it works well.

I've had Prime for 3 years now. I had Netflix and canceled it after 1 year with Prime. I don't usually use it for streaming free TV shows and such but there is plenty to pick from. I usually rent movies through Prime for a couple bucks. Streams are always crystal clear and never hiccup.

I'd say it's definitely worth it. I've never had an issue with it and certainly get my monies worth out of it. The free shipping and discounts pay for themselves.

the streaming service is great, i also have netflix but lately im finding i watch prime more. my prime membership has paid for itself 10 times over already in just shipping costs alone.

I never go to a physical store anymore, not even for automotive parts. Way easier to have it show up at the house.

We just got the amazon tv box and it's nice. Same features as a roku or apple tv, just depends on what your preference is. They have a lot of older shows and movies, but enough recent ones that between netflix and amazon, you have 90% of the shows that you want to watch.

We abuse the shipping like it's cool. My wife just ordered everything for the new RV and had it shipped to the house. To 2 day ship that stuff probably cost amazon what I pay for the membership. I overnighted the 37's on the jeep just to see if they'd do it and $16 later they were at my house at 10 am the next day.

Seems like I never have time to go to the store, between the kids and all the activities and it's really nice to order that stuff and have it waiting for me on saturday morning to start my project. I'll use rock auto to find the part number and then plug it in to amazon and send it to the house for free.

I figured up what regular shipping would run me on all my purchases from amazon last year. About $300, just for shipping. Prime reduced that to $80. This year it will be $100 and I'm still saving money plus I'm getting it faster. I buy everything I don't need today through amazon.

I figured up what regular shipping would run me on all my purchases from amazon last year. About $300, just for shipping. Prime reduced that to $80. This year it will be $100 and I'm still saving money plus I'm getting it faster. I buy everything I don't need today through amazon.

I did the same thing when I learned about Prime. I figured out what I paid in shipping and it has more than paid for itself. Plus, I used to look around for the free shipping in the past and wait 5 days. 2 day shipping on practically everything is really nice. The problem is that I think I buy more "stuff" now, lol

I find that the picture quality is way better on Amazon Prime. The difference with netflix is not everything is free on Prime. Prime has more movies and TV shows, but it seems fewer are free (pretty close though). I would say there are probably more free shows on netflix, but it is nice to watch a new movie here and there (costs a couple bucks) when you want.

I still have a student email at my college so I was able to sign up as a student which cuts the cost in half...so its a no brainier for me.

ALERT: selfless plug, lol :pig:
If you (or somebody else) signs up for the student discounts, use this link so I get $10, lol - http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/si...t=VZ2ESTESPKGT7KD7G3UARXYLFE&ref_type=generic

BTW, the Amazon box (FireTV :tv:) is awesome if you don't already have something to watch on. It does all the streaming video services (Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc), but has a faster processor so it is pretty fast and has lots of cool features. I like the RF remote and voice search. It does have a surprisingly low storage capacity so if you store lots of music and photos on it you may want something else...

I've found that the iOS and PS3 interfaces of prime video suck. But otherwise, thumbs up.

Yes yes...and yes.

I don't use it for streaming, but I use prime for the free 2 day shipping all the time.

GF is the one with the account, we just both use it.

Though I will say, I've been buying a LOT more stuff off eBay lately since its been cheaper, and free shipping for items I could find on Prime and many times couldn't.

But yes, Prime is worth it...and Amazon's returns policy is one of the best out there.

if you're lucky enough to live close to one of their distribution hubs like I am, they will deliver groceries too :D

Totally worth it.

Doesn't the grocery delivery cost like 300$/yr tho? I guess it could pay for itself.

I love Prime but I do buy way to much from Amazon, the streaming service is ok I think but does add some value to it. I found after a few months I had seen everything that I wanted to and they don't seem to update all that often. I feel like I check it once a month these days for new content and actually watch something maybe once every few months anymore. Having cable and various movie channels cancels out Prime in that aspect for me.

I never go to a physical store anymore, not even for automotive parts. Way easier to have it show up at the house.

We just got the amazon tv box and it's nice. Same features as a roku or apple tv, just depends on what your preference is. They have a lot of older shows and movies, but enough recent ones that between netflix and amazon, you have 90% of the shows that you want to watch.

We abuse the shipping like it's cool. My wife just ordered everything for the new RV and had it shipped to the house. To 2 day ship that stuff probably cost amazon what I pay for the membership. I overnighted the 37's on the jeep just to see if they'd do it and $16 later they were at my house at 10 am the next day.

Seems like I never have time to go to the store, between the kids and all the activities and it's really nice to order that stuff and have it waiting for me on saturday morning to start my project. I'll use rock auto to find the part number and then plug it in to amazon and send it to the house for free.

x2

minus the 37 inch tire order...

my local autozone is wondering where i've been lately.

If I can plan out my wrenching I'll get it with prime.

I always do a search and compare prices, but 9.5 times out of 10 prime wins, and their return policy is awesome, I had to return one part that didn't work and it was flawless. I've even caught myself spending a couple bucks extra with prime because I know when the item will arrive and know I can sent it back if it doesn't work.

Some stuff even comes over night with prime at no extra cost.

mac 'I don't know how they make any money' gyvr

PS the wife uses the amazon video through the wii and loves the kids programs.

x2

minus the 37 inch tire order...

my local autozone is wondering where i've been lately.

If I can plan out my wrenching I'll get it with prime.

I always do a search and compare prices, but 9.5 times out of 10 prime wins, and their return policy is awesome, I had to return one part that didn't work and it was flawless. I've even caught myself spending a couple bucks extra with prime because I know when the item will arrive and know I can sent it back if it doesn't work.

Some stuff even comes over night with prime at no extra cost.

mac 'I don't know how they make any money' gyvr

PS the wife uses the amazon video through the wii and loves the kids programs.

Its surprising how well amazon stocks car parts really. Anytime I need parts I tend to check Rockauto to get my part numbers, then amazon to see if they have it with Prime. If I am in a hurry I pay the few bucks more for over night shipping, otherwise prime shipping works and amazon tends to meet or beat any price I've come across. If amazon doesn't stock something I usually go with RockAuto. I also check the local Napa for smaller stuff, Napa brand specific parts or anything that needs a core returned.

Back