• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amazon Prime.....is it worth it?

Its surprising how well amazon stocks car parts really. Anytime I need parts I tend to check Rockauto to get my part numbers, then amazon to see if they have it with Prime. If I am in a hurry I pay the few bucks more for over night shipping, otherwise prime shipping works and amazon tends to meet or beat any price I've come across. If amazon doesn't stock something I usually go with RockAuto. I also check the local Napa for smaller stuff, Napa brand specific parts or anything that needs a core returned.

There are some parts I have only been able to get through amazon. For example,

Rear speakers for my grand am. They are a special amplified speaker and nothing other than factory would work without a hassle.

Dealership wanted $96 each, and then realized they couldn't even get them.

Got a part number for them, ordered from gmpartsdirect.com. One e-mail later "sorry, its obsolete, can't get them for you".

Punched that part number into amazon and got the pair for $70 within 2 days. Came in a Delco box with the GM part number and everything.

Another +1 for prime. If I can wait a couple of days for whatever I need, prime is the way to go. Sucks that they now charge sales tax in NC, but such is life I suppose.

I have a Kindle Fire that I take with me on the road (travel 80% of the time for work, all over the country), and it's nice to be able to download movies directly to it for those cross country flights. They cost on average $2-$4 per movie, which isn't bad at all. I haven't tried the streaming yet, but I have a Roku at home to stream both Netflix and Prime, which works very well.

Amazon has only missed their Prime delivery promise one time for me, and that was at Christmas. I was able to find the item locally at the last minute for a few bucks more, but Amazon took the return back no questions asked and refunded me some money to cover the shipping error (which is their policy). There have been numerous times though where I get something shipped prime and actually get it overnight. All depends on where it ships from.

Last edited:
Another +1 for Prime here. Ordered an OBD-II Bluetooth and a couple extra XB360 battery packs over the weekend, did the Free 2-Day shipping. Estimated arrival date was tomorrow, they are in my mailbox today and I didn't have to pay a penny extra for it. It sucks that the price has gone up a bit to $99 when I renew next month, but in July I am moving into a new apartment and the cable company offers a Tivo that is compatible with Amazon Prime Video and my XBox 360 is compatible with Netflix, Hulu, WatchESPN, etc. I plan on using the shipping semi-regularly and will definitely check out the streaming as well as I've never had it before.

So overall, a huge thumbs up from me on Amazon Prime.

Been a Prime member for quite a few years now. We have a couple Sony blu-ray players and a Roku that stream the Prime video perfectly, so we downgraded our cable package and saved about $20/month. We don't need to see the latest movies and tv shows, so their free selection is more than adequate for us.

Haven't been as impressed with their shipping lately though. Used to sometimes get things next day, now it's always at least two days from the day after I order. Living in the Chicago area and 15 minutes from a major UPS hub, I'm guessing they're just sending stuff regular UPS and relying on it to get there in two days.

Recently picked up a Kindle for $19, so the Prime lending library will get me a free book each month, as busy as I've been lately, that will cover all my reading needs.

And I've ordered plenty of jeep parts, but many times Rockauto is cheaper, even with shipping charges

I've had the service for a few years now and abused the free shipping for big items. That alone covers the cost of Prime a few times over. Especially compared to retailers that jack up shipping costs or charge 'handling fees', etc. Thanks to Prime and Netflix, we dumped cable tv and the ever rising costs. Costco sells a $40 antenna that pulls in all the local stations with a better HD signal than cable did anyway...and minus the antenna, it's all free.

I overnighted the 37's on the jeep just to see if they'd do it and $16 later they were at my house at 10 am the next day.

Hah no way! I need to do that, just need to decide if I want 37's or 38's. They have some of the best Maxxis prices I've been able to find.

I've been using it for years. A recent article did the math with the new prime cost increase and if you ordered 30+ packages a year, or a half dozen large packages (mattress, TV stand, etc) it would pay for itself purely on shipping cost alone.

What I find is that when we had our baby, the cost of diapers were about $1-2 less per package, same with formula, toilet paper, etc. We order a lot from Amazon, not just the odds and ends electronics/books. Household items. When we compare prices in the store to Amazon pricing using the Amazon smartphone app (it has a built in scanner so you can scan a bar-code and it'll show you the Amazon price, we're instantly aware of how much we save. I would suspect we're no less than $500 per year after the $100 we pay for the service.

Now, we also use Prime for things like books and videos. I don't actually read much at all, but they have children's books I read to my kid using a tablet. And videos .. its pretty comparable to Netflix and great for renting $2.99 movies.

Anyway, it works for us =)

Since trying Prime, my UPS guy calls me by my first name, and leaves my dog treats. No sales tax, it's an anarchists dream. :)

I had to post this, I ordered an angle grinder(they have a dewalt sale going on) on friday the 6th, got my shipping confirmation email on the 7th and then it showed up on my doorstop on the 8th... a Sunday! It was dropped off sunday sometime before 10am. I've never had something delivered on a sunday but there it was. When I got the delivery confirmation txt sunday morning I thought it was just a mix up and that it would show up monday, nope.

I had to post this, I ordered an angle grinder(they have a dewalt sale going on) on friday the 6th, got my shipping confirmation email on the 7th and then it showed up on my doorstop on the 8th... a Sunday! It was dropped off sunday sometime before 10am. I've never had something delivered on a sunday but there it was. When I got the delivery confirmation txt sunday morning I thought it was just a mix up and that it would show up monday, nope.

:thumbup:

I have no problem using airplay to atv2 from my 5s for prime.

What is ironic, however, is it's a pretty well documented issue streaming from a Mavericks OSX device to atv's using airplay. Our iphones stream no problem. My 2012 generation imac, not so much.

Not even amazon prime. Just trying some videos on vlc.

Back