• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

am i going to hate myself for using a rough country lift?

Shipping was free on the kit from jc Whitney, so the lift was under $500 to my door. I cant expect the world for that i guess. If the kit shows up with add-a-leafs, im going to call jc Whitney and see if they will do somthing for me to get me in the right direction for a set of 3" springs since their "tech" people assured me that i was getting springs. We shall see in 7to 9 days.

Not to really defend Rustys, as some of their stuff I have used ain't all that, but the 96 Sport I am driving now has their 3" kit on it (springs not AAL). It is 3-4 yrs old, and rides very nice. The shocks are lacking, and could use replacing, and the rear of the jeep still sits slightly higher than I like, but I am impressed enough that I am not going to remove it to put on my off road cherokee as I had originally planned.

Shoot, it rides just as nice as my new Silverado, and gets better mpg to boot.

All the RC bashing I've seen in the last year seems to come from dudes who cannot or will not be made happy by customer service or who have totally unreasonable expectations.

They have a customer service guy who frequents this board, I think his name is Jason, and I've been continually impressed with this guy's dedication to making people happy with his company. He is awesome.

Also - RC products aren't the very top of the line but they DO seem to be excellent value for what you pay. I haven't heard any complaints about their parts, really, except that maybe HDOffroad makes a better shackle relocation kit for the money. THat isn't really even a knock on RC.

If it fits the budget and you aren't attached to branding, go for it.

Yes, Jason is a great guy. He was at WinterFest back in March. He showed up on Friday and BIGSLVRXJ bent his RC track bar on friday. Jason heard about it, called the office up and he had a track bar there saturday afternoon.

Yes, Jason is a great guy. He was at WinterFest back in March. He showed up on Friday and BIGSLVRXJ bent his RC track bar on friday. Jason heard about it, called the office up and he had a track bar there saturday afternoon.

I knew those trackbars were bend-able. When I first pulled it out of the box I nearly laughed. It was super thin. Good thing I replaced it with a 1.25" bar from ironman.

Funny thing, one of the 4wheeling magazines had an article of an install of RC's long arm kit on a ZJ and stated the bar was 1.25" but it was clearly not just by looking at the picture. I have the same bar sitting in the kitchen and it's not even close to 1.25". (it also appeared they installed it the wrong way too :laugh:)

Last edited:
I knew those trackbars were bend-able. When I first pulled it out of the box I nearly laughed. It was super thin. Good thing I replaced it with a 1.25" bar from ironman.

Funny thing, one of the 4wheeling magazines had an article of an install of RC's long arm kit on a ZJ and stated the bar was 1.25" but it was clearly not just by looking at the picture. I have the same bar sitting in the kitchen and it's not even close to 1.25". (it also appeared they installed it the way wrong too :laugh:)

I went with Ironman as well, that was because they were the only company offering a double shear track bar for 3" of lift that wasn't a billion dollars.

The kit is on its way back to kc Whitney on their dime. I'll order the kit from rough country this time. Its cheaper, as shipping is only $58 and their kit comes with shocks and jc Whitneys didn't.

Is this going to be a good kit for a dd/occasional wheeler with 31x10.5 tires, or should I look @ something else?

You get what you pay for is what i saw people saying when i did my research ..

But ive never run a r.c. lift so i cant hate really..

i personally decided to wait untill ii could spend some coin on a higher rated quality based on my research..

Old man emu hybrid from dpg (best service)

I did this mainly because mine is a D.D.

If u have a ton of money, sure, get a better kit. But if you are on a tight budget, RC is a darn good deal for the money. I have the 4.5" full rear leaf, and I have not yet experienced the issues the others mention here, but then I am not a "full on" wheeler like some. The shocks are pretty darn stiff, so that's one drawback, and I'd also recommend a different, heavier-duty adjustable trackbar (I also have an IronMan). But just to get it up in the air to start with, no, you will not regret it.

I was considering a trail only rig at some point it'd be built cheaper and run harder.. maybe a r.c. long arm would be cool if i hated the ride ,get better shocks (prolly o.m.e. as they seem to be great on my current setup)

of course my trail only rig will probably be the old mans Plymouth Trailduster (When i inherit it) w 400cubic inches and no 2wd it has 4hi or 4hi locked and 4low or 4low locked.. Thats what the transfer case shifter says anyway,.. were pretty shure its stock but geared almost to low to get up to highway speeds.. it like the old ramcharger from dodge basically

Back