• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All Aluminum Bumper???!!!!???

WOW.

What a bunch of longwinded explanations.....

TK, please use steel for the towpoints, if your bumper breaks when you hit a rock or a tree, that is YOUR issue. If a towpoint comes off during a tug, that is everyones issue. The tow points and thier mounts are the only thing I really care about during a bumper inspection for a run....1/4" AL ain't gonna pass.

The rest sounds neat, go for it.

Rev

I am definately going for it. What can it hurt. With the proper amount of gusseting and bracketry I think you would be hard pressed to wreck it unless you are in a real bad situation in which case you will probably be in for worse problems anyways by abusing the bumper. Keep the comments coming guys.

were are on page 3 already, lets just get this thing built and see some pics.

I have seen them on Wranglers.... Made about 20 minutes from where I live here in Indiana.

Im not even going to chime in one its strength or durability because that would be like me peeing into the ocean...

but I would like to mention unless you want the bling effect going on, your probley going to have to annodize it, and lets not forget about TIG welding :)

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/4rnrfrontbumper/

that link goes to a personal site of someone using a Denver Off-Road aluminum bumper. I have seen these used on diesel pickups because of the weight savings on the already overloaded front axle.

anyhow, the aluminum that the winch is mounted to is 1/2", which is both stonger and lighter than most steel bumpers. some of the construction is 3/8", but that's still super thick. i would use double layer if i were you, especially in the important parts. the crazy part is that this bumper is mounted to the frame using 1/2" steel. that is super strong but also way stronger than the frame. i want my bumper brackets to fail before the frame does.

overall my rigid uses about that much steel for frame mounts also (2 layers of 3/16" at the 2 front mounting points, plus the stock layered sheetmetal). of course all of the forces are distributed across the front crossmember and way back the uniframe. still probably could tear through the frame with enough force though. has this happened to anybody? (besides those with improperly mounted tow-hooks)

if you do decide to go with aluminum, i have a couple of 6" ibeams i need to sell if you want to use them. on has already been cut and bent for front bumper but i went with tubular steel instead.

Back