• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airsoft pellets + Fix-a-flat = Bad

Why are you putting airsoft pellets in your 32s anyways, give the tire man the 10 bucks you spent on airsoft pellets and get them balanced.

simple- because airsoft pellets/BBs are ACTIVE balancing systems, as opposed to static balance created by the professional method.

I agree with you about using plugs, but please explain how fix a flat will seal the bead around the circumference of the rim when it's laying 8 or more inches away from said area, at the bottom of the tire? :D

imma honky said:
Actually it will slow it down, unless there is a chunk missing. During initial "take off" the goo spreads and sticks everywhere inside the tire.

burntkat said:
simple- because airsoft pellets/BBs are ACTIVE balancing systems, as opposed to static balance created by the professional method.

I guess that Ill start using ACTIVE balancing methods on my wheelbarrow.

Active ballancing is good for people that might lose a few ounces on one side of the tire when a lug gets ripped off. with 32s I dont that you will have that problem. If ACTIVE balancing was better for all applications then they would come off the showroom floor with it.

i know i have a ten year old steel rim with fix-a-flat i tried to remove the old co-op mudders off of it and it didnt move, no need for bead locks on that rim

juryrigjalopy said:
I guess that Ill start using ACTIVE balancing methods on my wheelbarrow.

Active ballancing is good for people that might lose a few ounces on one side of the tire when a lug gets ripped off. with 32s I dont that you will have that problem. If ACTIVE balancing was better for all applications then they would come off the showroom floor with it.

you drive your wheelbarrow 60_MPH very often? I'm impressed-- you must work out.

If 33" tires, bigger axles, etc, were better in all applications then they would have come off the factory showroom with them, too, huh?

Sorry-- I don't buy that argument- mass production gets whatever the bean counters allow- which means they build for the lowest common denominator. Then you get things like the Liberty.

Active balancing is indeed better in all applications-- particularly when you've just come off a trail and you've got several pounds of muck in your wheels, plastered there till you can get to the washrack and certainly not evenly distributed. Or, giving another example-- when you've been crawling and one of the rocks lovingly removed your wheel weights from your rim, setting your wheel balancing off by a like amount.

aaronh said:
i know i have a ten year old steel rim with fix-a-flat i tried to remove the old co-op mudders off of it and it didnt move, no need for bead locks on that rim

was the rim rusty by chance? Or was bead sealer used on the tire?

Ramsey said:
just use a highlift and your bumper to break the bead.

Is there any other way?:) That works like a champ.

imma honky said:
During initial "take off" the goo spreads and sticks everywhere inside
burntkat said:
I agree with you about using plugs, but please explain how fix a flat will seal the bead around the circumference of the rim when it's laying 8 or more inches away from said area, at the bottom of the tire? :D
Have you ever messed with the stuff? I worked at a tire shop for two years. I have seen just about everything that could happen to tire. The fix a flat will roll around covering EVERY surface inside the tire and rim. That includes that little pinhole of the bead that air is leaking from. While it is in no way a perminent fix like bead sealer or a plug, it will hold for a few hours to a few weeks depending on the leak.
I use fix a flat like I use tire wet... Not at all. It's toxic as crap, stinks, messy, and degrades the rubber if left in there long enough. And as mentioned before, CAN cause rim damage (peels the paint).

burntkat said:
what nooone is mentioning is that fixaflat will NOT fix a bead leak. centrifigal force [or is it centripetal, I can never remember] force pulls it away from where it's needed in terms of a bead leak.

SPOBI! Anybody that tells you fix-a-flat won't seal up a leaky bead has no experience with it. I honestly have only had 1 tire puncture through the tread; but more leaky beads than I can remember, on several different vehicles (trucks, lawnmowers, quads) and fix-a-flat sealed the bead every time, permanently.

Several other things I'd like to point out:
-So fix-a-flat is toxic. Boo hoo. So is engine oil, and gasoline. If it's inside my tire; I don't really care. I wash my hands after putting it in because the stuff is sticky anyway.

-So it can degrade the rubber. Again, not a big deal for me, my tires generally don't last that long anyway. I can see it being an issue for a vehicle that sits a lot and the tires end up lasting years and years.

-Yes, it will cause the rim to rust. I know that to be true from experience, but I'm not concerned about it, especially with my $40 black steel wheels. By the time they are too rusty to be useable, they will probably be pretty beat up anyway.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think a bunch of people are just jumping on the "fix-a-flat is bad" bandwagon without much real experience. I understand you guys that work at tire shops and don't like the stuff, because it's messy for you; but I haven't heard any other valid concerns about this stuff other than the rims rusting.

I'm not saying fix-a-flat is for everybody, and it certainly isn't the best tool to use, but it does work for what I used it for.

zthang43 said:
SPOBI! Anybody that tells you fix-a-flat won't seal up a leaky bead has no experience with it. I honestly have only had 1 tire puncture through the tread; but more leaky beads than I can remember, on several different vehicles (trucks, lawnmowers, quads) and fix-a-flat sealed the bead every time, permanently.

Several other things I'd like to point out:
-So fix-a-flat is toxic. Boo hoo. So is engine oil, and gasoline. If it's inside my tire; I don't really care. I wash my hands after putting it in because the stuff is sticky anyway.

-So it can degrade the rubber. Again, not a big deal for me, my tires generally don't last that long anyway. I can see it being an issue for a vehicle that sits a lot and the tires end up lasting years and years.

-Yes, it will cause the rim to rust. I know that to be true from experience, but I'm not concerned about it, especially with my $40 black steel wheels. By the time they are too rusty to be useable, they will probably be pretty beat up anyway.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think a bunch of people are just jumping on the "fix-a-flat is bad" bandwagon without much real experience. I understand you guys that work at tire shops and don't like the stuff, because it's messy for you; but I haven't heard any other valid concerns about this stuff other than the rims rusting.

I'm not saying fix-a-flat is for everybody, and it certainly isn't the best tool to use, but it does work for what I used it for.
And that is you.
BUT, most people aren't familiar with fix a flat.
I don't give two shi*s about if people want to use it or not, it's thier choice. But coming from someone who had to clean the crap out of too many tires because people were too lazy to get it properly fixed the FIRST time, I elt I needed to pipe in.

i work at a tire shop (as a manager) and fix-a-flat freaking sucks bawls! but in all honesty i had a small leak at my bead on one of my xj's and it worked for a few days untill i had it fixed properly. i hate the stuff but when all else fails why the hell not its worth a shot.

Back