• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airsoft BB's, for tire balance, REPORT

krelja said:
won't the fix a flat basically glue all the pellets together @ some random place in your tire. that would be a great story when the tire guy takes it off.

I just saw a post where that happened, cant remeber where I saw it though. Ooopsy! :)

I didnt see any mention of heat.

Has anyone had any issues related to heat?? its getting hot here and the tars do get warm, so I was just wondering if the plastic airsoft pellets could get hot enough to melt INSIDE the tar???

I just put in 8oz ea in my 33X10'5 BFG MT's....hoping for the best.....

CW

I havent seen a problem with that, and I've been on them about seven months now in the los angeles sun..

I'll let you know, finally put my trail tires back on and will be running em a couple weeks and a trip to arkansas. If it will, it'll do it in Louisiana, although I really doubt it will get that hot unless your running low pressure at high speeds, even then...

Mounted 33X12.50 mtrs on 15X8 alloys, took them in to be balanced and the machine wanted 4oz on one side and 3oz on the other in the first spin!! I stuck 10.5 oz of .20 gram white airsofts in each tire, I have run it to 85 mph with NO vibes. Great mod that I will use again when these wear out.

Do hear a little noise when you stop, if you stop quick with the windows down it almost sounds like you have airbrakes as the bb's make a revolution around the tire. Pretty cool actually, not annoying at all.

I just picked up some nused 35 Xterrains. The tire shop tried but said they couldn't ballance them. They wanted to sell me some powder stuff but I said no. I had one of them run me down to Walmart. I picked up 2 jugs of the .12 gram bb's and a food scale. I used 9 oz in each tire and they work perfect.

jwtrapper said:
I just picked up some nused 35 Xterrains. The tire shop tried but said they couldn't ballance them. They wanted to sell me some powder stuff but I said no. I had one of them run me down to Walmart. I picked up 2 jugs of the .12 gram bb's and a food scale. I used 9 oz in each tire and they work perfect.

should have bought a disposable camera and taken a picture of their confused looks while you were at it. LOL i know the first time i walked into the shop here with 4 zip loc bags of pellets, they just looked at me like i was a little green alien. LOL

cal said:
I can hit 85 on my 315/75/16 MT/R's with no vibes at all, 9oz of yellow .12 pellets per tire. The tires are newish with even wear and tread.

It might be important to include what kind of wheels you are running. It's been my recent experiance that alot of the rock crawler/pacer steelies out there arent round anymore, and some of them werent very round to begin with. :)

Glad to hear this. These are the tires I'll be putting on my XJ this week or next.

So can anybody describe how the BBs work? What are the physics behind the BBs working. I read the article on the Dynabead website but that could just be marketing and not the real physics behind why they work.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
So can anybody describe how the BBs work? What are the physics behind the BBs working. I read the article on the Dynabead website but that could just be marketing and not the real physics behind why they work.

AARON

they're right...its just as the article states:party:

Put the 315/75/16 (35x12.5) on Friday with 8 oz. in each tire of the .12 gram Airsoft BBs. Drove on the interstate, had it up near 80 with no vibes. It rode awesome. Only felt a minor vibe around 50 and then it was gone, and that was only while sustaining that speed, not during acceleration.

I'm in love with them so far.

Erik

Just an update to this for anyone searching:

I used roughly 9ozs of the .12 gram in my BFG MT 32s, and within about 7K miles I needed to add more because the tires were wobbling again. I didn't worry about it because I was getting new tires soon. When the bead was broken to remove my old tires, a huge cloud of dust flew out. Almost every BB within 2 of my tires had completely fallen apart. That would explain the imbalance I'd developed.

I now have gone back to traditional wheel weights. Is there any certain type recommended? I used just some generic green .12 grams.

that's interesting. i've got a good 1year of daily driving (probably around 20,000miles), and i can still hear the airsoft pellets go "sssshhhhh" when i come to a stop.

maybe i'll pop one of my tires off one of these days to see what the pellets look like after that many miles.

scorpio_vette said:
that's interesting. i've got a good 1year of daily driving (probably around 20,000miles), and i can still hear the airsoft pellets go "sssshhhhh" when i come to a stop.

maybe i'll pop one of my tires off one of these days to see what the pellets look like after that many miles.
I thought it odd, too. I'd never heard of anything like it. But what's even stranger is it was just two random tires that were really bad. The others were alright (very few busted BBs). You should've seen the tire guys' faces when they saw it. Three of them just stood around scratching their heads and playing with the BBs/dust. :D

Just wanted to say that since i first started using airsoft pellets, i've been swearing by them. but after yesterday, i think it might have been one of the best things i've ever done to my jeep.

i was at a snow run yesterday, with a section that we call "mission impassable". so far the smallest vehicle that has made it through there had roughly 4" lift with 33's and 1 locker. and that was during the summer. we were there yesterday, and there was 2 feet of snow on top of it. i was the smallest vehicle there with 3" lift and 31's with welded rear axle. after me, the smallest vehicle was sitting on about 6" lift with 35". so there is an obvious height and build difference. well i completed 90% of mission impassable, and the cherokee looks like it went through hell and back. there isn't a single straight panel left on it, and all 4 wheels are either pulled out at the bead, or pushed in at the bead. on 2 of them we were surprised they still held air. so we tried beating them somewhat back and then i had to drive the jeep home for 2 hours. 65-70mph and it still felt comfortable. no way in hell i would have been able to do that with regular wheel weights.

i'm never using any other method of tire balancing after that experience.

So what are these fullsize lifted Ford, Chevy, and Dodge guys doin to balance their trucks with their huge tires...are all traditional balancers limited to the 31" tires?

xjmania said:
So what are these fullsize lifted Ford, Chevy, and Dodge guys doin to balance their trucks with their huge tires...are all traditional balancers limited to the 31" tires?
I use to work at a tire shop that had a big rig tire balancer for the bigger tires. works damn well and made it easy because it lifts and sets the tire for you.

Back