• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag go boom?!

So my airbag light has been on for awhile, and one of my jeep buddies informed me that it could possibly mean that my airbag could go off at any point?

2000 xj sport, 4.0, auto

Any insight to this? Any help to make the light go out?:dunno:

Thanks!

the clockspring could be bad or the connection to the instrument cluster could be messing up which would set the light off without there being any actual issues with the airbags. do you have any issues with the horn or cruise control buttons? that would point to a clockspring issue. aside from that, youll have to have the codes read off the computer to find the problem.

I'll have the codes checked later today. As far as the clockspring, *knocks on wood* everything on the steering wheel works fine...

Classic case of a marginal wire harness connection at the instrument gauge cluster.
Sometimes, just pressing the gauge cluster further into the dash panel with your
fingertips (both hands) will fix it. Otherwise, you'll have to pull the cluster out,
clean the harness connector pins and put it all back.

The most common cause for the Airbag light is a faulty clockspring in the steering column.

The airbags should not not deply. If you are concerned, unplug the wire harness from the silver airbag control box under the floor center console.

unplugging any SIR components is NOT recommended by any means. having the air bag light checked with a factory scan tool is, generic scan tools will not have this capability. When the light is on the air bags will more than likely NOT deploy if the vehicle gets into an accident because their is a fault in the system. It's NOT a self destruct initiated light that the air bags will go off. Further diagnosis is recommended to ensure if it is the clock-spring, fault in the wiring harness, or any sensor, connector etc.

Last edited:
Best quote ever.

Thanks!

Nothing to worry about with the airbag in the vehicle. It's when you have buddies like this, you need to worry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OatGDV6xf_4

With friends like that, who needs enemies?!

I'll try and check a few things to see if I can't get it to turn off... I did remove the cluster about 6 months ago, and the light came on about 4... I never thought about that... so, I'll check that to see if the harness is loose.

Thanks!

Back