• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Header Gains?

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but couldn't find a thread saying other than which brand to buy.
I know everyone buys the APN and what not but are there actual gains? It don't seem like people are buying them for strength, considering every other person cracks theirs. Someone said redoing the rest of the exhaust is whats need to get the benefits.

I don't think it's a massive benefit on the 4.0s, but rather part of a collective picture. I run an Edelbrock header, but that's on a stroker with everything else done. If you're going to do it for power, you've got to be willing to invest in some of the other breathing mods as well.

The 91+ jeeps have a header from the factory while other cars or even the 87-90 have a manifold. Most are cast. So no there's not much gain, negligible amount at most & some sound. Bigger gains come from a custom made 2.5" down pipe.
Better gains still from ceramic coating which ever header your got, or wrapping it. As well as the intake manifold. Keeps the heat from the header from baking the intake manifold. That leads to cooler intake temps, more power, less chance of detention.
Want something cheap & free, follow Dino's site jeep4.0performnce. Look at the intake heat shield & the gains he saw, also look into relocating the iat sensor.

The 91+ jeeps have a header from the factory while other cars or even the 87-90 have a manifold.
They don't have a header, but a tubular manifold.

The factory tube manifold is also only what? 1 1/4" tube? The biggest benefit you'd see from going aftermarket would come from a good intake, throttle body, port matched exhaust header and a full exhaust with high flow cat and free flowing muffler... good way to drop a grand for about 20hp in the real world.

Other cars highly benefit from these changes, for example. I switched my manifold on my gst to an evo 8 manifold, ported to match the head and the turbo, ported the turbo, picked up 27hp from just that alone. Headers on naturally aspirated takes the whole package to just see about the same gain.

Basically what I'm getting at, save your money for something else that will benefit you more.

Makes sense. So I'm assuming using the stock header with better stuff after it will be pretty good. I also already port matched this one to the head thats been opened up a little for a smooth transition. So maybe that'll do something. This motor is getting swapped so I can do little jobs like that for farts till it's time.

Does anyone have experiance with powdercoated exhaust parts? My friend did his headers himself with a ceramic powder and have no idea if it's like the mainstream stuff.

Interesting thread. Ill be keeping an eye on this.

I have a 00 with brute force intake an cat back Flowmaster system and was thinking about grabbing some NIB banks torque tubes I found for $300. It's my intention to get my tb bored eventually an that'll leave only the cat stock. Also I feel I should note I'm running 748 injectors

The intake and ehxuast give her a nice lil uhmpfh, I'm hoping the headers while bring it all together better

Interesting thread. Ill be keeping an eye on this.

I have a 00 with brute force intake an cat back Flowmaster system and was thinking about grabbing some NIB banks torque tubes I found for $300. It's my intention to get my tb bored eventually an that'll leave only the cat stock. Also I feel I should note I'm running 748 injectors

The intake and ehxuast give her a nice lil uhmpfh, I'm hoping the headers while bring it all together better
I believe you have the header with the pre-cats built in. Technically you can use an aftermarket header, but not really legal. Smog tech can fail visual inspecition if they know what they are looking for. Unlike the Dakota/durango, where some had pre cats and some did not, there is no other stock option that is really 100% legal.
As for bored TB, strokedjeep.com is your answer. Well worth the money.

I believe you have the header with the pre-cats built in.
The cats are not built into the header, they are on the down pipe.
Technically you can use an aftermarket header, but not really legal.
There are several after market headers fro the 00+ exhaust with or without precats.

The cats are not built into the header, they are on the down pipe. There are several after market headers fro the 00+ exhaust with or without precats.

My bad thought they were, so just a shorty header style manifold they have then?

I've got a question. How do each stack up vs each other?

Pacesetter has the long tubes of any header option..his better scavenging and better low end?
APN/borla have some of the shortest thus act like a shorty style header. Better top end.
And then the Doug thorley Tri-y which should be better in the mid range & low end right?

Of course all better than stock but what's really better overall? I have. Doug thorley thats ceramic coated currently. That's new, not even installed. It i think the pacesetter will be better and am honestly looking at getting one. I think it's better because its got the longest runners over all. Wats everyone else think?

Last edited:
Why would you give up a DT for a pacesetter? That would be like going from seriousoffroad long arms to RC.To each their own, but DT is excellent quality AND yours is already coated. And, I do believe that their tri-y is equal length tubes (or close).

I was just thinking about it because I figured if the pacesetters were ethe longest then they would be best for low end. Looks like I'm sticking to my Dts

Back