• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on transmission

I don't try to load Windows 10 into my old Dell 386 computer, and I use the recommended fluids in my Cherokees.

The XJ Cherokee and the AW-4 are both shining examples of 1980's automotive technology and will run nearly forever on Dexron-III/Mercon and whatever 10w30 dinosaur based motor oil that is on sale at WallyMart. I suppose Amsoil works well, but one of my XJ's cost me less than the price of 3 cases of Amsoil.

Last edited:
My comments on the AW4 trans in my 88XJ. At about 386,000 miles, my engine gave up. I pulled the engine and trans and started to rebuild/modify the engine. I decided to pull the AW4 apart and mic every part to determine if it needed a rebuild. My AW4 DID NOT require a rebuild! So all I did was order a gasket kit and re-assembled the AW4.

I have a tip for the AW4 about some shims( i.e. 4 shims IIRC) that come in the gasket kit. These shims have different thicknesses which vary only by thousands of an inch. So mic each shim thickness and place it into a small plastic bag and mark the shim thickness on that bag. Then as you assemble the AW4, place the proper thickness shim where the instructions state it needs to go in the trans. This is important!

My 88XJ is now way over 500,000 miles and runs very well. Knock on wood! That my actual experience working on my AW4. In my view-an incredible trans!

Best regards,

Hell, I keep an extra around. Beware though, 98 is the transition year between the one with an input shaft sensor and one without. Triple check which one you have, the difference has caused many a headache for people on this site!
Mine was a migraine. When the factory changed transmissions they did not do it co-incident with the change in model year. Do not trust the year model as it is reflected in the VIN. slide up under the jeep (as others have recommended) and make visual contact with the input and output shaft speed sensors. Unclewolverine speaks wisdom, lol, with one possible exception: I think a triple check might not be enough! NB that the two transmissions have other differences other than the input/output shaft speed sensors, but the presence, or absence of the sensors is the easy, and I would say, the only practical way to tell which one you have.

Lastly: if the transmission was working well before you dropped the pan, carefully put the pan back on with the correct toque for the double handfull of little bolts and in the future adhere to the old Tibetan proverb: no brokee, no fixee.

Last edited:
Mine was a migraine. When the factory changed transmissions they did not do it co-incident with the change in model year. Do not trust the year model as it is reflected in the VIN. slide up under the jeep (as others have recommended) and make visual contact with the input and output shaft speed sensors. Unclewolverine speaks wisdom, lol, with one possible exception: I think a triple check might not be enough! NB that the two transmissions have other differences other than the input/output shaft speed sensors, but the presence, or absence of the sensors is the easy, and I would say, the only practical way to tell which one you have.

Lastly: if the transmission was working well before you dropped the pan, carefully put the pan back on with the correct toque for the double handfull of little bolts and in the future adhere to the old Tibetan proverb: no brokee, no fixee.

Thank you guys for your help! I actually filled her up with the Dex/Merc VI already - dammit lol. Looks like I am draining that pan again. I will see if I can find me some Dex III. Strange how the bottle says its backwards compatible with Dex III. I feel like that should not even be legal. While I do that I will also check for those sensors.

Next thing on my list is a full coolant flush. My XJ does not have any rust under her except for the passenger side floor board, it seems to have gone through at random spots including right under the exhaust so I will be cutting that out and welding some new metal on.

She is not my daily and I have only driven her 2 miles with the trans fluid change, so do yall think a standard trans flush will be okay with the new Dex III or not even a little bit of Dex VI can be in the system?

Back