• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice on this cam for 4 litre?

atowley

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone run this cam for their 4litre? How much more aggresive is it than stock and can I run this in a pretty much stock 93 4litre engine? It's Mopar performance parts, summit racing part number DCC-4529228AB, intake and exhaust duration of 240, intake valve lift of .430, and exhaust of .430 . Will these settings work with stock valve springs.108 degree lobe seperation. It's an offroad only truck, lot's of rock climbing and low RPM torque. Rarely see's high RPM's unless it's through mud or climbing a sand hill.

Mopar Performance Catalog lists 3 cams for the 4.0L. The one you're looking at is the mildest of the three. Mopar calls it the Phase I cam and they list it for "Mild Competition." Of course, they list the Phase II and Phase III cams as suited for "mild competition" too, so I'm not sure how helpful that is.

According to Mopar, the cam you're looking at has a useful power range of 900 to 4700 RPM. They recommend using valve spring part number P4529214 -- I don't know if that's the same as a stock spring, but the 'P' prefix means it's considered a Performance part.

Hope that helps.

I'm running the Crane low rpm cam in my 4.7L stroker. It really makes the lower rpms solid and helps with the pinging. I can track down the numbers if you are interested. I don't know your expertise level, so excuse me if you already know this, but make sure and use new lifters on any new cam. Otherwise you will kill the new cam. Also watch out for spring binding. The higher lift cams can cause stock springs to bottom out and bind. I went with the Crane performance springs. They weren't that much.

Lots of Luck.

If Summit is selling the actual Mopar Performance cam kits, the kit includes the cam, lifters, and assembly lube. You're on your own for lifters. Whatever Mopar recommends to go with it can't be too far off the mark, but I would want to verify that they are dual springs (with a damper). The damper isn't critical for low RPM engines, but if you're buying springs anyway ... why not?

Eagle said:
If Summit is selling the actual Mopar Performance cam kits, the kit includes the cam, lifters, and assembly lube. You're on your own for lifters. Whatever Mopar recommends to go with it can't be too far off the mark, but I would want to verify that they are dual springs (with a damper). The damper isn't critical for low RPM engines, but if you're buying springs anyway ... why not?

You mean your on your own for the springs? I will have to make a call in the morning I guess. I want to stick with the stock springs as I don't have the tool to change the springs. Do you think this cam would work with stock springs, just a guess is good. Thanks for all of your opinions.

Lift for the stock cam is 0.405". My off-the-cuff guess is that your stock springs will work, but the tool to change valve springs can't cost more than $5 to $10. You should be popping the retainers off and replacing the valve seals anyway if you're doing a cam.

Is the head still on your engine? If so, crank it around until one of the springs is fully compressed and look to see how much farther it can go (if any) before the coils close up andbind. That'll tell you. Just remember that you have hydraulic lifters. If they're not pumped up, you won't get the full amount of lift.

atowley said:
Has anyone run this cam for their 4litre? How much more aggresive is it than stock and can I run this in a pretty much stock 93 4litre engine? It's Mopar performance parts, summit racing part number DCC-4529228AB, intake and exhaust duration of 240, intake valve lift of .430, and exhaust of .430 . Will these settings work with stock valve springs.108 degree lobe seperation. It's an offroad only truck, lot's of rock climbing and low RPM torque. Rarely see's high RPM's unless it's through mud or climbing a sand hill.

That's a very mild cam so it'll work great if low rev torque is what you're after. There won't be much torque above 4500rpm though so that'll effectively be your rev limit.
The stock cam has a lift of 0.424" and since the stock springs are rated up to 0.430" of lift, you can reuse them with the Mopar cam.

Hey, Dr. Dyno --

What's your source for the 0.424 valve lift on the stock cam? I pulled the 0.405 figure directly out of the 1994 FSM. Is your number for a different year/different cam, or is there a misprint in one of our FSMs?

That's one of the many misprints in the FSM. Crane cams gave me the 0.424" number and that's confirmed by the fact that the difference in valve spring length when the valve is fully open or fully closed is exactly 0.424".
The duration is 197* @ 0.050.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I ordered the mopar cam yesterday and it should be in by the end of the weekend. Can't wait to wheel this thing again with an engine that actually has power. Compared to the original really worn out 89 4litre non ho.

Back