• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on a diesel

DODGE was DPF the first year of the 6.7 2013 or so they went to DEF they were the last to go...after treatment which os DEF diesel exhaust fluid metered into the exhaust after the motor as a catalyst for burning of soot the Diesel Particulate Filter DPF used fuel metered in on the exhaust stroke Cummins calls it the 3rd injection event it put small amounts if raw fuel in the exhaust to heat up and burn soot.

It is probably the easiest to remove the emissions on the DPF , but if you don't idle it a lot and do short drives you probably will have no issues . Keep in mind when these DPF equiped trucks came out in 2006.5 for the 2007 year they required the use of 10-15 ppm ULTRA low sulfur diesel and that was not st a lot of fuel stops yet so many trucks got plugged up from the wrong use if 500ppm diesel .

I agree with most everything everyone is saying.
Our 2003 7.3 is so reliable. Chassis rides like railcar tho. It is rusting in to the ground.

If DMax...I believe 06 had strongest bottom-end. Be ready to replace injectors as mentioned above.
I personally would go 24valve 5.9 cummins with manual....dual clutch. 24v means better mpg.
Simpler the better. Maybe even find a cummins with bad auto.....aftermarket makes great rebuilds with all weak links addressed. I rebuilt my 95 AOD dodge @ 120000 miles. When I got in there, someone had already rebuilt it once. But with beefier parts(4 vs 3 planetary gear sets and better thrust washers) my auto was great.

A tuner is great...I just run our 7.3 up one level to tow. Contrary to most opinions...black smoke is not cool. Just means you are wasting fuel. But monitoring all systems is so helpful with a tuner...also gives you warnings when parameters are getting out of whack. They adjust shifting too as to not burn up a tranny.

Good luck!

My only advice after researching.

Hahahaha, I told him I think hes better off with rebuiling the 383 or finding a newer truck with a 454 and maybe a nv4500 but thats like Hasta

Hahahaha, I told him I think hes better off with rebuiling the 383 or finding a newer truck with a 454 and maybe a nv4500 but thats like Hasta

I'd love a cummins or duramax. I just don't want to pay for the ticket to get on the ride or the maintenance. If I needed one for my livelihood I would go duramax for the independent front suspension and interior quality.

I would personally get a duramax for the simple fact that everything around the cummins is garbage, front and rear ends constantly go out on dodges, wiring is a nightmare and the autos are utter trash. I prefer a cummins over a dmax, but a dmax is still an excellent motor with plenty of power, and the rest of the truck is built well. One thing to look out for is ive seen a few t cases blow up bearings on the chevys because owners didnt keep the fluid topped off.. Apparantly theyre prone to leaking. Another thing ive seen on the chevys is the front bearing where the cv axle stub rides go out. Other than that they are very solid trucks.. Occasional tie rod replacement but nothing major.

Another thing to add, i say a chevy mainly because i wouldnt want to tow with a standard trans, just my preference. If you can find yourself a cummins with a 6 speed manual, and dont mind a manual itll be a good truck. Cummins motors are a fair bit easier to work on, and they wont give u much problems. Just be wary of those electronics-the cummins side of wiring will be great, the chrysler's will give u shit lol. and you will need to replace u joints, and tie rods and ball joints at least once. Expect the rear end to go out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The transfer case problem was because they used a magnesium case with a floating oil pump. Over time the pump sawed a groove into the case and you got a leak. There's some aftermarket parts to address the issue, and depending on how far it got, you can replace the case or JB weld it.

Cool, all good to know. Thinking we are going to go with a LBZ dmax. Will just have to expand the search to find a clean one with low miles.

I would personally get a duramax for the simple fact that everything around the cummins is garbage, front and rear ends constantly go out on dodges

It has the same rear end as the chevy....
And it has a AAM 9.25 front axle....

All of them eat ball joints for breakfast. Dodges also eat axle shaft U joints because of the lack of lock outs.

Last edited:
Balljoints are the sacrificial lambs upon which we support our engines that weigh more than some cars.

Yeah, just a little, but it will match his CJ! Look like it but I'll have to see truck is coming from one of their affiliate dealerships in BFE.

Decent looking truck. Needs all the chrome replaced with black to go better with the "super bee" paint scheme.

Sorry, but that has to be one of the ugliest colors on a truck I've seen :laugh:

Yeah, I like yellow but this a little overkill.....I'm not driving though:gee:

Back