• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on a diesel

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
So my dad wants to get a diesel, either duramax or cummins, absolutely no fords. I honestly don't know enough about them mechanically to know what to look for. He's overseas right now so I'm tasked with trying to find one. Any advice on what years/models or anything else to look at? Budget is under 35k, needs to be 4wd and preferably under 100k. Past that pretty open. Thanks!

Under 100K is going to be a bit of a challenge, but do able at 35K$.

Me personally, I would stay pre-2008 to avoid the DPF. For the D-Max I would be looking specifically for a 2006-2007 Classic. Those have the latest pre-DPF engine that was reinforced structurally and makes the most factory power, those also came with the 6 speed Allison that also has a manual shifting mode via buttons on the shifter stalk.

For the Dodges I would say stick with a 5.9L and just be wary of the transmission, if you do wind up with a newer one that has the 6.7L try to find one with the Aisin transmission. As for the automatic behind the 5.9L, simple things like upgrading the cooler and a deeper sump pan will do a lot to keep it alive.

Of course I have a very clean 2001 Ford with a 7.3L and only 135,000 miles on it I'd gladly sell him for 35,000$ :D

I have an 08 Dodge Ram 6.7 I bought it in 2011 with 85k on it for 31k I put nothing down...for about 40k I could have got a left over and had no miles on it and full 100k warranty . Anyway I have put 100,000 miles on it in about 6 years and runs like brand new at 183,000 . Pre 2010 automatic 68rfe had an issue with valve body bore wearing out and going in limp mode after 2010 they anodized the valve bodies so not an issue...lol...my valve body shat the bed at 125,000 the new body was $700 and installs in 45 minutes in the driveway. Besides the valve body the transmission has been fine I have had 33s and 35s on it and an edge tuner . I did replace the Crank psution sensor at 114,000 it shat the bed it is $40 part and takes 5 minutes to pop in . This had dpf filter not a def after treatment I still have the original DPF at 183k I should remove it .

You will not find a non cab and chassis with an Asin they are all 68rfe with exceptions to the tradesmen with super high output they use the asin because that year asin has a ...9...torque rating the earlier asin are only an 8 just lol the RFE the only thing the asin offers over the rfe is the PTO .

The 6.7 is also a superior motor to the 5.9 .

Thanks Dutch, I did tell him the 06-07 duramax or 5.9 cummins would be the best bet but those pull a premium and are tough to find under 100k. Unfortunately the old man is stubborn as hell. I tried explaining the whole pre 08 thing he still thinks it doesn't make a difference. Yeah, we can't do Fords....would be shunned by friends and family. :D

Not sure what year they started offering the Aisin as an option but both of my neighbors have 2015 or 2016's with the Aisin upgrade. Its an additional option and while I'm not up to speed on the 68rfe's I know historically Aisin makes a better transmission than Dodge.

What is he trying to use the truck for? Honestly I checked out the new Titan diesel and was really impressed. V8 Cummins, 6spd Aisin transmission, factory gooseneck hitch, and a 12,000lbs tow rating. That's very impressive for a half ton truck. They have 2 leftover 2016's at the Nissan dealership in Longmont that are marked down 16,000$. I'm very tempted to get one, but would have to sell my trusty 7.3L to get one and I'm not sure its worth it to me.

As for the D-Max, I would avoid the 2007.5 (new body style) - 2010's for no other reason than the DPF causes issues. We have 2 at work that we use heavily for towing and regularly have issues with the DPF clogging up and the truck going into a limp mode. There was something not right in the programming with them. Also, to go into regen that just dump fuel into the engine. On the 2011+ (which unfortunately add DEF) they added an extra injector into the exhaust stream to control regen without dumping a bunch of raw fuel through the cylinders.

Not sure when Dodge did it but on the 11+ D-Max's they also have factory exhaust brakes.

I work on these for a living. I 100% agree that the 06-07 lbz Duramax is awesome. Lots of power and least amount of crap. The later ones actually had the least amount of dpf issues. The 5.9 is awesome as well. The6.7, while a good motor, is extremely difficult to diagnose thanks to Mercedes making a horrible scan tool and has a lot of emissions equipment problems and expensive parts. I have not been impressed with the new dodges and we've seen a lot of early failures of multiple different systems. Whatever you do, PLEASE pay a good shop to look it over before you buy. $150 at a shop could save your dad $35000. I see too many people get excited to buy a big diesel truck only to find out it needs $6k worth of work.

Thank god you won't be buying a Ford 6.4.

For what is worth my 2011 Ram has 200k with not a single problem out of the 68rfe transmission. Shifts great to this day (knock on wood). I deleted it so there is no DPF garbage on it. Other than that it is stock and probably the best truck Ive ever had. The 48rfe thats behind the 5.9 is notorious for being a 100k mile transmission if you use the truck as it was intended so keep that in mind.

I don't have much experience with the duramax, but I know you should stay away from the early ones due to injector and head gasket problems. Ive got a buddy that hauls two jeeps on his gooseneck with an 2006 2500 regularly.

Other than that Id say you are on the right track with what you're looking at. Ive also had a 6.0 Ford and my brother has had a 6.4. I wouldn't recommend either one of them.

Thanks for all the input. Currently he has a K2500 with a 383 that was put in a while ago. It's just at the point of needing a rebuild or just using it as a back up truck. So he wants a diesel to haul the pop up with the CJ behind for hunting and camping. He found a place in ID that he can get a new dodge for 40k, I imagine he could probably score a good deal local too with some searching. We will get a PPI if going used, just need to find a decent shop around.

I just dumped my '14 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. Right about 40k miles and it had already had the SCR replaced once and I had gotten a recall notice to replace it again. Plenty of power for what I needed it to do, but nothing amazing given what it's supposed to be able to do.

Anything that has a DPF you're going to have problems with it. Thats with all manufactures. If he lives somewhere where he can delete it that is no doubt the way to go. That is, if he gets something with a DPF.

The 6.4L was total garbage, the 6.0L is actually a pretty good engine if you do 1 of 2 things. The first thing is, leave it the F alone. It makes plenty of power stock, so don't F with it. The second thing is, if you're too stupid to follow #1, call up bullet proof diesel and give them your credit card number.

The early D-Max was plenty good. It did have some injector issues but that was more a batch/supply issue than a design issue. Most of those should be taken care of by now. I haven't heard of the head gasket issues, but I'm sure much like the 6.0L its more from people tuning them than a design flaw. We have an 01 D-Max at work and its a great truck. One thing I love about it is that it doesn't have anything more complicated than an EGR system on it emission wise. The 5spd Allison is a good transmission too.

I know you said no Fords but I would take a serious look at the 2011+ line up. The 6.7L Powerstroke has proven to be a pretty damn reliable setup and the Super Duty offers the roomiest interior with the exception of the Dodge Mega Cab. Unlike the Dodges though it also comes with an over 6.5ft bed in short bed form and is available with an 8ft bed too. Like the Dodges they're still solid front axle trucks so they aren't going to ride quite as nice as the Chevy's.

Even though the new batch of half tons are rated to tow/haul almost as much as my old 7.3L F250 the thing that keeps me from jumping all over one is the fact that I have no emission control components on my truck at all, and that's how it came from the factory. The Dodge Eco-Diesel is pretty nice (my boss has one), that new Titan seemed like a really nice truck when I crawled over it at the dealership, and now Ford is talking about a new F150 diesel for next year. All very tempting, but the 7.3L just plain works. Its hard to justify at least doubling my payment for a few more creature comforts and a lot more potential headaches down the road. Although 25mpg in my truck would be pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Dutch, they updated the head gaskets. They had an issue with different expansion rates between the iron block and aluminum heads which created a scraping effect. They usually leak externally. Programmers will eat the head gaskets alive, and one good overheat and they're done as well. Always use head studs if you do them.

Makes sense, sounds like another thing that should already be fixed on one you bought now. It also sounds like another, leave the damn thing alone type item.

Don't get me wrong, I did chip my 7.3L. It also has a full turbo back exhaust and an upgraded filter (just filter though, not full intake). The 7.3L though only makes around 250-270hp stock and is a bit sluggish. All I'm running is a 50hp tune to bump it back up to closer to the more modern engines. With only that setting though it drives great and has never once felt under powered when towing, no matter how much weight I've had back there. There are other setting on my chip, but I only use the 50hp and High Idle functions. Its a daily driver and tow rig, I don't need 500+ HP and especially not at the cost of reliability. Maybe I'm a bit odd that way but considering the C15 in our Freightliner that's got a CAT supplied "hot" tune is only rated for 550HP and I've personally scaled over 100,000lbs combined before running I-70 all the way to Grand Junction and back I just don't see the need for my 3/4 ton pickup to be making that kind of power.

I've always been told 6 in a row if your looking to tow, 8 in a v if you sit down to pee....

I've always been told 6 in a row if your looking to tow, 8 in a v if you sit down to pee....

Hahaha! Thats funny.

I doubt he will chip it, so no worries about really anything other than stock. Which is crazy to me because he can supercharge his 4runner but cant put a damn efi on his cJ.

So its looking like basically anything pre 08, at the least no dpf. 06-07 duramax or cummins up to 2011?

If I was getting anything pre 08 it'd be a Duramax or a Dodge with a manual. Id might go back to a 7.3 but Ive never been a fan of the HEUI oil systems. Common rail fuel systems are no doubt superior.

Lol...best advice is if you are not a gambling man don't spend $35,000 on a used truck with no warranty you may get a great truck you may get a Lemon and have no warranty . Everyone of the 3 makes of HD diesels have their Lemons .

Lol...best advice is if you are not a gambling man don't spend $35,000 on a used truck with no warranty you may get a great truck you may get a Lemon and have no warranty . Everyone of the 3 makes of HD diesels have their Lemons .

True that. In the end they're all just throw away engines in pickup trucks. They all have their pros and cons, they all have the potential to be very reliable, and they all also have the potential to cost you a lot of money in repairs.

Back