• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on a budget boost

northernlightsfive

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to get some advice from you all. I have a 99 XJ with 160k on the odometer. I wanted to just do a 2 inch lift (trying to avoid the vibes, but might be open to going higher then 2inches) and have accumulated the following new parts (most free):

-Pair of OME leaf springs (supposed to give 2 inch lift)/U bolts
-Prothane bushing kit (leaf springs, shackle, control arm, tie rods, ect)
-Rough Country coils (supposed to give a 3 inch lift)
-OME 1 inch transfer case drop kit

Most of my driving is on the road, with an occasional offroad excursion. I am trying to keep this as simple and inexpensive as possible.

I have a few questions about this set up:
-Will I still need an extended brake line in the rear?
-Should I ditch the rough country coils and go for the ZJ coils and a spacer (so the front is level with the back)?
-Will the front be jacked up too high compared to the rear (didnt know if the coils settle after a bit)?
- Am I missing anything important?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ditch the urethane bushings and save for a SYE kit(you will probably need it).

if ya want to keep a good ride get some of the HD replacement rear leaf packs from quadratec..... those give right at 2" of lift and ride good.
Then do 2" spacers on front coils. You wont have to change shocks, do a sye or anything else and it will ride almost as good as stock and look like they should have sat from the factory.

I used 2" spacers up front with newer,1999, coils. OEM pack in rear with full length add a leaf (BDS) ans a 5/8" block. Unloaded the rear sits just a hint high, like a truck or SUV should, With trail gear,parts, camping stuff, etc.. it sits level. Mine is a 1996 Xj sport. clears 30's with out rubbing on stock rims fine. I cut the front fenders and reinstalled the wheel well liners and cut and folded the rear with aftermarket bump stops. Daystar 1" extended. I can disconnect my sway bar and gett minimal rubbing in the front. With 3" coils up front I think you'll need to relocate or trackarm bar or get a extended one. Thats also about your max on your factory lowerr control arms. Brake lines in front will be ok but rear will be maxed out. I use a R.E. extended. It's either 19" or 22"

I wanted to get some advice from you all. I have a 99 XJ with 160k on the odometer. I wanted to just do a 2 inch lift (trying to avoid the vibes, but might be open to going higher then 2inches) and have accumulated the following new parts (most free):

-Pair of OME leaf springs (supposed to give 2 inch lift)/U bolts
-Prothane bushing kit (leaf springs, shackle, control arm, tie rods, ect)
-Rough Country coils (supposed to give a 3 inch lift)
-OME 1 inch transfer case drop kit

Most of my driving is on the road, with an occasional offroad excursion. I am trying to keep this as simple and inexpensive as possible.

I have a few questions about this set up:
-Will I still need an extended brake line in the rear?
-Should I ditch the rough country coils and go for the ZJ coils and a spacer (so the front is level with the back)?
-Will the front be jacked up too high compared to the rear (didnt know if the coils settle after a bit)?
- Am I missing anything important?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I highlighted the items you should install if I was gonna aim to get 2" lift and already have the parts. Get some ZJ coils from the J-yard(they are pretty darn cheap) and a couple extra pairs of factory coil Isolators(those rubber puck looking things). You could sell the RC lift coils to recoupe your spendings for the ZJ coils. I have RC 3" coils in mine and they rode fine for awhile cause I figured it was a Jeep and it was supposed to ride stiffer, but after awhile it gets old. I wish I had sprung for some OME or RE front springs instead. The ZJ will ride just fine.

I would NOT put in the t-case drop kit until after the lift springs are in and take it for a ride to see if there are any vibes. After the test drive, then decide if you're in need of the Tcase drop. I would suggest against the longer shackles. Friend of mine put in the "up-country" springs and some JKS longer shackles and he got vibes. None before the shackles. And just as a precaution, Lift blocks WILL shorten the life of your Leafsprings, please stay away from them, I dont care what anyone else on here says, THEY WILL. I know!

Dont worry about your rear brake lines. They should be fine. Take a look at your Front brake hardlines. The ones that come out from the engine compartment. IF they are not that rusty, take out that torque bolt and bend the hardline straight. Then find yourself a Self-tapping screw and re-screw that bracket for the line in the new position. That should give you more slack in the line.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I have been in your shoes before, as have many others. Do what you feel is right in your eyes.

Last edited:
So here's my scenario for the next XJ I am gonna buy. Dont have the truck yet, but will in a few weeks hopefully. I am shooting for only an inch higher than you want to go, but these are my thoughts on achieving the desired lift I want. Just so you have some idea that you should have some kind of plan(goal) layed out before starting. Make sure you have a certain hieght in mind otherwise you will start throwing parts at it and you might not ever make it there, and you have to keep changing parts to keep up because you changed other parts.

My build sheet:
1998xj (definetly)
On a budget build:
Front- ZJ coils sitting around, 2"poly spacer= about 3"
Rear- HD upcountry springs w/longer shackles= about 3"
Also add T-case drop for vibes if necessary.

How I want/plan to do it:
Front- 3" OME coils, OME shocks to match, ZJ Tierod replacement, JKS adj trackbar, RE fixed LCA's, RC adj UCA's.
Rear- 2" OME leafs(net 3-3.5"actual), TNT customs 0.5" U-bolt eliminators, ZJ rear discs.
Adding SYE to T-case, installing JCR t-case skid.

I plan on a rear tire carrier in the future so I want to make sure I have enough lift in the back to handle it when the time comes. I think I will.

I appreciate all the replies. I think I am going to go with the ZJ coils with a spacer for upfront (and eventually save up for a sye and go higher later).

:thumbup:

good deal. i fit 30s on stock rims under my old 99 with no rubbing at all. sway bars connected. youll be happy with it for a while. then the addiction kicks in.

save up for a lift you want, do some research and ask some specific questions if there is something you are unsure of. there are a lot of different option. take a look around and what the different kits offer at the same heights, youll get a good concept of what components youll need. (obviously many companies sell 2" lifts that are comprised of blocks and spacers) but youll be able to still hit the trail or get back to your favorite fishing hole. and i think making a SYE your next investment is a very wise choice as it is something that you will need when you go higher.

I am looking at a 2" lift also but I keep reading different reports on OME actual gain. Is it really 2" or 3" I don't want to go to high and have problems needing a SYE I would really like to stay at 2". I was going to go with OME coils up front but if the back is higher I'll need spacers too.

I am now looking at the quadratec HD springs if they give a true 2" gain.

Back