• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice for the Trail

If you are on a trail run, you should only take about 3 attempts at an obsticle before you take the strap, winch, spotter, or whatever. Nobody wants to watch you destroy the trail, break your stuff or make us late to dinner because you are too proud to admit defeat. Now if we are somewhere like Funnyrocks then by all means go ahead, flog your jeep just don't make me late to dinner. :)

I feel better now that I contributed.

Ok here's my bit.
Go prepared: have as much stuff as you can. Have a replacement part for the things that can leave you stranded. Spare cps, brake lines, u-joint, axle shafts ect... also potty breaks; if you need to go potty when the group comes to a stop tell someone. So if the group is ready to go they don't leave without you. Also try to conseal what you are doing. Nobody wants to see that....

Drinking and wheeling is bad. We a good example of why recently. Not only does it endanger others around you but when you get out of your rig on uneven terrain you can fall and bust you face up.

Driving on roads between trails: try to maintain a 5 to 6 meter distance. Don't be too close or you could hit the guy in front of you. Also in high dust areas drive with your lights on. It helps oncoming traffic see you through the dust. If you are traveling fast on blind corners slow down. No one like to hit a quad.

I know this is listed in the required equipment for all trail runs, but how many of you have a fire extinguisher that you can grab from the drivers seat in your rigs? I don't, but it's on my list for nw fest.

Drinking and wheeling is bad. We a good example of why recently.

x2

make sure to drink the first half of your beer as a passenger quickly so it doesn't end up all over your crotch

FYI, I did a little thread clean-up. Try and keep things on topic please.

You deleted the pro gun comments and kept the anti gun comments?? How is that "clean up"?? Having guns should not be a topic on this thread at all IMO. people have the right to cary a gun anywhere they want (within the law) now saying shooting from a car is not allowed I would support that as it is illegal.

I do like this thread as a new guy but dont like anti rights people / comments at all.

2. Alcohol. I know we have had these discussions in the past and everyone has their own perspective. DRINKING does not mix well with driving!! It is not fair to the others on the trail with you!! I would add guns to this list also. Weapons should not be seen, or loaded for the safety of the group.

I appologize for not being more clear with regard to weapons (and I am not just talking about guns). I often see weapons unsecure in vehicles (rolling around in the back of a rig along with a 6 pack), un-holstered on someones body while they are navigating a trail, looking under a vehicle, etc. These situations that I have seen on almost every trail ride I have been on.

I am certain that many more of you carry weapons than I have seen. I don't have any issues with these people because I assume they are carried appropriately, securely, safely for the given situation.

Again, I appologize if I have offended anyone, that is not my intent. These are only my opinions from my experience.

Michael

I appologize for not being more clear with regard to weapons (and I am not just talking about guns). I often see weapons unsecure in vehicles (rolling around in the back of a rig along with a 6 pack), un-holstered on someones body while they are navigating a trail, looking under a vehicle, etc. These situations that I have seen on almost every trail ride I have been on.

I am certain that many more of you carry weapons than I have seen. I don't have any issues with these people because I assume they are carried appropriately, securely, safely for the given situation.

Again, I appologize if I have offended anyone, that is not my intent. These are only my opinions from my experience.

Michael

We love you michael :worship: even though your a grumpy pain in the :moon: sometimes.

I have guns but I don't carry, my passengers do. I understand where youre coming from, trying to raise two kids myself I agree about the drinking on the trail, however I'm not going to tell someone else how to behave. Maybe we could have a fire-side debate.

Have a random bolt bucket. I have seen these come in handy onore than one run. In all cases the broken rig would not have made it out under its own power had there not been a collection of spare bolts availiable. So next time you take something apart and end up with extra bolts put them in a coffee can .

So next time you take something apart and end up with extra bolts put them in a coffee can .

hmm. You rebuild an engine and have extra bolts laying around? Doesnt sound like it was reassembled right man. lol jk jk

But really, this is a great idea. As well as lug nuts, steering box bolts, u joint straps and bolts, and a few extra 10mm bolts if your still running the stock upper mounts.

Zipties and bailing wire always come in handy as well.

Have a random bolt bucket. I have seen these come in handy onore than one run. In all cases the broken rig would not have made it out under its own power had there not been a collection of spare bolts availiable.

Agreed!
I brought spare hardware last year and It got two rigs back on the mud springs trail last year. One rig had stripped all the crossmember bolts and the other was a missing upper shock bolt.

Agreed!
I brought spare hardware last year and It got two rigs back on the mud springs trail last year. One rig had stripped all the crossmember bolts and the other was a missing upper shock bolt.

I think that was one of my examples. Also seen a makeshift center pin made with a bolt a wingnut.

I think that was one of my examples. Also seen a makeshift center pin made with a bolt a wingnut.

That's funny, I saw that too. Up close, with a hacksaw and file in my hand. :D

Great thread, all of the really important stuff has been mentioned. And go easy on Michael, guys. He is not only a very accomplished wheeler, he's a great guy both on and off the trail. Not to mention that he's right. Bottom line on drinking on the trail; There's a world of difference between having a few beers over the course of the day and slamming down drinks until you're good and buzzed and start driving/acting like an asshole. The first one is a non-issue IMO. The second one is what he's talking about. Know your limits, save the heavy drinking for around the campfire.

...When the sweatpants are on?:cheers:

-Alex

You know it, Baby! Look, the sweatpants logic is infallible. Warmer than shorts, comfortable enough to climb into the sleeping bag wearing them, easy enough to slip off if they get filthy falling in the dirt while staggering around the campfire. At that point you're too numb to be cold, so sleeping with them in a dirty wad at the foot of the tent is all good. :)

carry spare valve cores, I've lost them airing down tires before.

Put all frequently used tools in an easy access tool bag.

Always have a big hammer accessible

Put your food/drink in the cooler before the ice.

For full days make sure you pack plenty of food and more importantly water

For obstacles that require a little speed, use a higher gear and lower revs so you don't provide higher torque than the little traction you have. More than once i have had better success in 3rd gear than I did in 1st with the same wheel speed.

Use momentum hammering on the throttle when you get to the slick stuff will just make you spin the tires faster. Back up to the better traction and hammer down (within reason) there and then let of for the slick stuff, the momentum will carry you through and you won't bounce like crazy when you get past the tough part.

You know it, Baby! Look, the sweatpants logic is infallible. Warmer than shorts, comfortable enough to climb into the sleeping bag wearing them, easy enough to slip off if they get filthy falling in the dirt while staggering around the campfire. At that point you're too numb to be cold, so sleeping with them in a dirty wad at the foot of the tent is all good. :)

Brilliant advice !!!! :thumbup:

Use momentum hammering on the throttle when you get to the slick stuff will just make you spin the tires faster. Back up to the better traction and hammer down (within reason) there and then let of for the slick stuff, the momentum will carry you through and you won't bounce like crazy when you get past the tough part.

I like how you explained this. I have found that alot of the drivers that are still "green" dont fully understand this concept. Definitely useful in snow wheelin as well as any trail with slick obstacles.

Back