• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable vs. Fixed Lower Control Arms

Tim00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My lift came with adjustable rough country control arms -- the old style before the x-flex joints. The threads on the passenger side arm have finally wallowed out causing a clunking noise in the front end. So, I'm looking at purchasing new lower control arms, but am having trouble deciding between fixed or adjustable.

I'm currently at 4.5" of lift and the uppers are fixed. Would I be able to get by with fixed lowers, or should I go with adjustable?

Especially since you have fixed uppers. adj. lowers are the way to go.

You COULD, but adj. make it THAT much easier to align, etc.

You can adjust caster with fixed lower control arms. Any competent alignment shop can do it as well with fixed lower arms as with adjustable arms. I'd get fixed length arms with rubber bushings in them (poly if you must) and if you need more adjustment, get adjustable uppers - because they'll last longer.

You can adjust caster with fixed lower control arms. Any competent alignment shop can do it as well with fixed lower arms as with adjustable arms. I'd get fixed length arms with rubber bushings in them (poly if you must) and if you need more adjustment, get adjustable uppers - because they'll last longer.

Honestly, for 50$, adjustable arms save the headache of having to use the shoe/shims to adjust the arms.

$50 is cheap, but he's already buying his 2nd set. How much for the ones that won't wallow out and clunk? Gotta think about the value of spare time spent under the Jeep.
Then again, most of us are hobbyists who *enjoy* replacing stuff under the Jeep. Shrug.

I don't really plan on going any bigger (lift-wise) in the near future, I'm tossing around the idea of selling it towards the end of the year and going over to the dark side (getting a Wrangler). If not, I'd end up getting long arms when going to a bigger lift.

Do all adjustable arms end up wallowing out at the adjustable part of the control arm? If that's the case, it seems ideal to go with fixed since I do not plan on putting on a bigger lift. I will just have to make sure to get the correct length.

If the more expensive control arms do not wallow out, it just makes more sense to go the long-arm route. I've seen some of the prices of more expensive arms (such as Currie, JKS, etc.) and they are nearly $400.

I don't know how much the thread sizes vary between various adjustable arms. Bigger is obviously better, smaller threads being more likely to gall / sheer etc. If the jam nut is kept tight, though, they shouldn't wallow or clunk or anything.
Don't remember who, but I did find fixed lower arms made of DOM tube with factory control arm bushings. Looked like a winner to me.

Back