• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adjustable control install help

Famwgn

NAXJA Forum User
I got some adjustable control arms to put on my xj w 3-3.5 lif(upper and lower). I want to push the axle out to center in wheelwell 35tires. Should I do both sides at same time or lowers than uppers? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Looking at 17.75in for lowers and15 7/8in for uppers.

Id to uppers then lowers. Watch how far ahead you go. You will run into driveshft problems. And sway bar link interference and maybe steering if its still stock

Can I center the axle in the wheel well, or do I just measure the control arms I have and set the new ones to that? Tires are a litlle set back right now. Do I do both lowers than uppers? Do I do upper and lower on one side, than the other? Guess I thought someone had run into this before.

I would set them all to the stock length then measure how much longer you want them. Count the turns it takes the lower then the uppers to reach the new length.

chalk the wheels in front and behind the tires. do one at a time, a really don't think it will matter in the order but I would do the lowers than the uppers. they are super easy to take out one at a time to replace or adjust. I have only done the upper and lowers to replace bushings but I didn't notice order mattering.

even easy for one person to do

and then when you get that axle nice and centered, where you want it... be ready for the location to change once you adjust castor.

no one has a definitive answer for your exact parts. there are resources online (ya... try google) for control arm lengths that will give you a ball park center. but your still going to have to do some tuning.

Thanks for the starting point guys!! I'll just have to be patient and pay attention to the measurements. Btw anyone know proper castor for xj?

5.5-8.? is stock range. with 35s youll want as much as possible. but with only 3-3.5" of lift and a HP30 (assuming) you should be able to get away with quite a bit.

FWIW...
i run about 5* (RE 4.5" coils, fixed super flex arms, RC drop brackets, castor adjusters maxed out) and can do 80 no problem. there is something to be desired still, it likes to wander on the highway, but i attribute that a little to my steering. but its fine at lesser speeds. once i do my locking hubs ill try to dial in a little more, if thats not acceptable offroad, ill look into rotating the Cs.

Back