• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Added SECURITY: dummy door handles?

no but i do keep the wheel lock key inside..
and you must enter the jeep to drive it off
this thread has now become 'bash non member', so i wont get a straight answer on anything

...thats ok i guess

xcm said:
this thread has now become 'bash non member', so i wont get a straight answer on anything

...thats ok i guess

1.) Lose the locking lugnut thingies. A Craftsman biter lug (or whatever they are called) and a 5 lb sledge makes them come off oh so quickly. They are just an owner self inflicted PITA really. Bt/dt on both counts.

2.) Do the fuel pump mod listed above (google is your friend).

3.) Add an alarm.

4.) Move somewhere that is less prone to thefts. Alternatively, be smart about where you park, how you display, etc. etc.

HTH

xcm said:

...thats ok i guess

Yeah thats exactly it. You weren't a member and that just infuriates us. So now your thread is just a joke. Get a grip.

Plenty of people offered good helpful suggestions. They just weren't good enough for you. Most of us have a crap load more money into just one rig. We are offering suggestions based on that alone. If you think you have a better idea, then go for it and don't bitch at us cause we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

Last edited:
Buy a good alarm. Put a bright light on a motion sensor in front of your house. Park under it.

If you do any of the following to my jeep:

break a window
open a door
pop hood
open hatch
jack it up
move it in any way
change the air pressure in the cabin (open door/window, slice the roof open?)
remove my winch
start ignition

The alarm system will:
Page the remote a foot from my head
Activate my electric linelocks for a duration of 15 minutes - press the brakes once, they stay on.
Disable starter
Make a lot of noise
Flash some lights

But by the time you get anywhere near my jeep, you will have set off two motion lights, and woken the neighbors pitbull up - which surely will wake me up.

There are some other goodies to go with it I'm not bothering to list off, as I dont have them really all worked out yet.

xcm said:

...thats ok i guess
actually even if you were a member i would think you were a jackass :bawl:

xcm said:
the idea was to not actually shave the handles.... so no body work required....

basically im worried about my tires.... i know how easily they would sell on craigslist... and i was looking for a couple suggestions....

alarm installation sounds difficult to me...

im kinda more concerned about it being stolen to go run a body up to the desert... or just a joyride...
your tellin me a theif is gonna crawl thru a broken window to get into a 5" lifted xj with no rocker step? (was planning on disabling both interior and exterior handles)

how is my logic so far off?

xcm said:

...thats ok i guess

keep the lock key on ur key chain and dont leave ur keys in ur jeep....how could installing an alarm be any harder than istalling door poper things...hek most best buys or other places will istall the alarm for free if u buy it from them. if somebody wants something there gonna take it...if somebody wants ur tires bad enough, u could have them welded (rims) to ur hubs and theyd prolly just take ur shafts.

I read about another theft/car jack deterrent in South Africa. They rig a 1/8 x 2" piece of steel (think oversized popsicle stick), about 2 feet long, to swing out and chop the car-jacker in the ankle. Spring loaded, could be activated manually or when the alarm goes off. Most of us could hide/integrate them into rock rails.

When I get motivated, I'm putting the kill switch inside the Tuffy box.

Leave your truck in 4Lo with the e-brake engaged and the front tires turned far to the right or left and lock the steering. Back into your driveway and there is no way a flatbed is getting in on a trailer before you get outside. That's an old trick to stopping the flatbed/tow-away tricks. ;)

BlackJax said:
Leave your truck in 4Lo with the e-brake engaged and the front tires turned far to the right or left and lock the steering. Back into your driveway and there is no way a flatbed is getting in on a trailer before you get outside. That's an old trick to stopping the flatbed/tow-away tricks. ;)
best suggestion ever

who is your alarm guy cal?

and people wonder why tech gets posted in local forums....
you get 1/2 good info... 1/2 assholes...

thanks to those who posted usefull info

xcm said:
best suggestion ever

who is your alarm guy cal?

and people wonder why tech gets posted in local forums....
you get 1/2 good info... 1/2 assholes...

thanks to those who posted usefull info

I am my alarm guy. A fellow jeeper works at the manufacturer for Viper and hooked me up with a good alarm in trade for some work on his jeep. I bought a bunch of extra sensors, modules, remote start, thermal/rpm monitors, doorlock motors, battery backups, every option I wanted and went from there. I'm still tweaking and getting stuff installed, and I'm probably going to add the ViperGPS module here pretty soon too. Getting a phone call if my vehicle moves while in locked mode is worth the cost to me.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing. Half of my shit is so overbuilt its crazy, the other half just barely gets by - it depends whether or not it was a "quick fix" to get on the road or a "project".

xcm said:
So, im getting to the point of having more then a grand into my jeeps...

Seriously!? Thats it? I could easily come up with many thousands of dollars I've spent on ONE of my jeeps.....like 6 or 7 easily. But hey, if its worth it that much, then whatever....

Anyways, what's the point of shaved door handles? If I want the car, I'll bust out a window and pull the alarm appart. Get a kill switch and lojack or something. Tack weld bolts you don't want removed from parts you don't want stolen. Anything can be had if a theif wants it bad enough.

cal said:
Buy a good alarm. Put a bright light on a motion sensor in front of your house.

And make sure the light is out of reach. The two times I had my YJ messed with , the thief unscrewed the driveway lightbulb.

My truck got broke into several years ago and they broke the window to get in, easier than messing with the door. Not like they care about cleaning up the glass or what they mess up anyways.

Obviously this thread is pretty worthless, but I'll throw this out there in an attempt to add real content to a poor poor thread.

I posted a writeup on Jeeps Unlimited relating to my solution to the very common door lock prying technique. If someone breaks into my XJ, they are going through the windows. In my opinion, it's alot easier to replace a window than a door. I've had this 'mod' four about 1.5 years without issue. At some point, my car battery will die, or my power locks will fail. Then it will be an issue...

Inexpensive Theft Deterrent (done)

Markos said:
Obviously this thread is pretty worthless, but I'll throw this out there in an attempt to add real content to a poor poor thread.

I posted a writeup on Jeeps Unlimited relating to my solution to the very common door lock prying technique. If someone breaks into my XJ, they are going through the windows. In my opinion, it's alot easier to replace a window than a door. I've had this 'mod' four about 1.5 years without issue. At some point, my car battery will die, or my power locks will fail. Then it will be an issue...

Inexpensive Theft Deterrent (done)

very good information, do appreciate it... thread isnt useless... just half useless.. thanks

I know your worried about your tires being taken but waht else are you worried about. Just the stuff inside or are you worried about them taking the whole rig?

xcm said:
So, im getting to the point of having more then a grand into my jeeps... and im starting to get concerned about theives...... So i was thinking about installing a shaved door handle kit, w/ door poppers... but leaving the exterior door handles there disconnected for good measure....

thanks
Why not just try LOCKING the doors. the outside handles will act the same as if you disconnected the linkage and you can test your new antitheft measures to see if it makes a difference!:cheers: (I think I am now dumber for responding to this thread!!!)

Last edited:
i repo'd cars while the alarm was going off, back in the day when 1 car per 'hood had an alarm made peopel take notice. nowadays everyone got em so they are ignored. best bet, keep nothing in view, keep it in 4lo when when u park..to prevent conventional towing, with your wheels cut and a good ignition disabler, one that mechanical not electronic.

my 2 cents...

cipey

Hmm, a little over a month away from being a year, should get a few good responses for bringing this one back up.

Back