• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ack, terrible radio reception

Hehe. I think it's funny. It's like watching a tennis game.

As far as the antenna goes, yesterday I went to a graduation ceremony, but I'll definitely have time today after work to do some prelim investigations.

No worries, just curious.

I can't quite tell from the photos, but is the antenna that's on there one of the upright rubber duck types or just a steel mast? I seem to recall that Ford was keen on using ones with a winding inside the mast in lieu of an actual loading coil - see this and this for examples of the style I'm referring to. Just wondering if maybe the antenna wasn't replaced at some point in the past with one that isn't totally suited to the head unit. If there's a break in that winding, you'll see degraded reception as well.

Also, regarding the static that kicks in in the Mazda when music starts playing: that could be a sign of poor audio processing in the head unit itself, possibly as an artifact introduced due to poor reception. That's really speculation on my behalf, though.

To answer your question BA, there are basically two things you can do. Assuming all your connections are secure and clean.

1. Get a better head unit

Look for one with a very sensitive receiver which is measured in microvolts, which when abbreviated will look like uV. The smaller the number the better (ex. 0.5uV is more sensitive than 1uV). But make sure that the number is measured at 12dB SINAD (signal to noise and distortion ratio). It's the same prinicple that you keep in mind while buying a cam, look for specs at a standard (.050") rather than "advertised" lift and duration. Generaly, those numbers aren't found on the box or even on the website for that matter, you'll probably have to query the company for those specs.

2. Get a better antenna

A stock whip is generally a 1/4 wave antenna and the only way to improve that is to go longer to either a 1/2 wave or a 5/8 wave whip. The problem there is that even a 1/2 wave is 5 feet long. What you can do however, is get a 1/4 wave gain, or amplified antenna which aren't that hard to find. Try Autozone, I think I saw some there.

Hope that helps! I'm kinda in the same boat as you and soon, I'm gunna start experimenting a little bit and I'll let ya know how it goes!

Yeah, those are some pretty terrible pics taken with my 2MP phone. I need to go take some better ones with my dSLR. The antenna looks just like that second one .. the solid rubber lookin' one.

I'll go see if I can't take a pic of it here soon. I figured that rubberized part was just a slip-over cover to enhance the appearance. If it's actually part of the antenna, then it's janked up.

What would the dealer do if I took it back and told them I'm getting poor reception with my stereo? Sometimes I can hear it, but apparently I'm the only one. Am I going crazy?

The plastic around the bottom of that antenna is just a slip cover to prevent whistling (or that was the story from the factory. The antenna is itself just a steel whip. As was stated before, check the lead between the antenna and the head unit. Does the reception change when the engine is running? is another important question to ask. You may wish to unscrew the antenna, and screw it back in tightly, then remove the head unit and re-seat the antenna lead.

If the reception is better with the engine off you have ignition or engine grounding problems. If re-seating both ends of the antenna lead don't improve reception try a different head unit, and if that doesn't help something is wrong with your antenna lead.

Here is the base of the antenna:
3085590712_1acf05cb7d.jpg

I'll try removing and reinstalling the antenna. I'll also try pulling the head unit and checking the connection there too. While I'm at it, maybe I can fix those non-working buttons.

Well, I figured out the problem.

The truck has an (aftermarket) 10 CD changer. Since the stock head unit has not RCA inputs, there is a converter that plugs into the antenna jack. The CD player only comes through on channel 88.3.

Without that thing plugged in, the radio gets perfect reception. With it plugged in, reception sucks balls.

Now, I don't have the dough to upgrade my head unit, so I'm stuck with stock. I don't mind having a CD player, either. Is there a 'Y' connector I can plug in the CD changer and the antenna together; then plug that into the head unit?

Presumably, at least in my head, it would allow me to get the radio reception and still use the CD changer.

Back