• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FM Radio Reception -- AM is Fine

javajeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All --

I have an 97 XJ Country. This morning I turned on the radio and got very poor reception on FM. The weird thing is that AM works fine -- it is crystal clear. My FM reception is so poor than when I use the seek function it scrolls through all the channels and finds nothing.

I searched for the problem and found that many pre-97s have an issue with the antenna wire under passenger side kick plate. However, I don't understand why FM would go out -- completely -- and AM would be crystal clear. Do both FM and AM come in over the same antenna? Moreover, I can not think of an "event" that caused it --- no wheeling, no car wash, no fender bender, nothing. It just did not work this morning.

Any ideas?

I need help on this. My wife is pushing hard for me to trade it for a Commander. But -- I like knocking around in my old paid-off XJ. This will give her more ammunition.

On my 89 the darn coupler under the Pass. side kick panel was spring loaded, if the sleeve cracks from age it pops apart just far enough to kill FM reception. Crutchfield has a replacement at a good price and it's a one piece wire. That may be all it is. (I was replacing the old unit anyway.)

I know that the 92's have a "DX" button that improves FM distance. Do you have something like this?

Hello All --

I have an 97 XJ Country. This morning I turned on the radio and got very poor reception on FM. The weird thing is that AM works fine -- it is crystal clear. My FM reception is so poor than when I use the seek function it scrolls through all the channels and finds nothing.

I searched for the problem and found that many pre-97s have an issue with the antenna wire under passenger side kick plate. However, I don't understand why FM would go out -- completely -- and AM would be crystal clear. Do both FM and AM come in over the same antenna? Moreover, I can not think of an "event" that caused it --- no wheeling, no car wash, no fender bender, nothing. It just did not work this morning.

Any ideas?

I need help on this. My wife is pushing hard for me to trade it for a Commander. But -- I like knocking around in my old paid-off XJ. This will give her more ammunition.

Check the connections under the foot kick trim and the cable it self. You can retain AM function if you loose a good connection on the coxial cable since AM can be picked up by a coat hanger :)

My money is a connector is loose or corroded apart on the Coxial line. AM is being recieved still through the open connection. I also have seen in rarer instances the head units going.

I had an 07 XK Commander- loved the look of it.. even with the 3.8 L it only got 13 mpg in the city. the thrid row seat is a joke... but loved it since it was a jeep. I had to get rid of it since only the highway I could only get 16 mpg. I get 22 in a Tahoe with a 5.3L.

The hemi is no better my buddy had a XK hemi and it got the same mileage. Stick with the XJ and buy her a rubi 4 door JK hardtop.

Thanks to everyone -- especially lucky14 with the commander advice. I found the connector below the passenger kickplate. Pulled it apart and pushed it together several times. Still nothing. And to the previous posters -- the engine has no impact on this issue. I am concerned it is disconnected at the antenna inside the body panel, but I don't know how to get at it. I pulled out the head unit and it was connected there. The antenna inside the body panel is all that is left to check.

Back