• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Switch Hyperactive...

JONNYD

NAXJA Forum User
My AC compressor switch appears to be hyperactive. When idling cold, the AC compressor will switch on every 15 seconds or so, run for 5 seconds, then switch back off. The sensor & divider near the AC tank constantly ticks. Not sure whats going on, but it seems like my AC compressor is working way to much and will probably prematurely wear out if left as is. Can anybody help?

Make sure you've got a full charge...and that's normal operation otherwise.

Maybe I mis-spoke. Its doing this without the AC being on. I have had a few XJ's, and none behaved as this. The clicking sound from the switch makes me think that maybe the AC switch if mis-firing. Might be a relay I guess. The system was recharged a while ago and had this same behaviour even after being recharged. It seemed normal in the summer when I was using the AC, but now the compressor should not be engaging! Its cold up here in Michigan!

isn't there something on the newer XJ's that's related to emmisions that's always clicking?
I remmeber reading about it.
What year is your XJ?

Clicking isn't a/c cycling...that's the way the system runs with A/C or Defrost on, assuming it's full.

Back