• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Abrasive media for blasting axles

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I really couldn't figure out what forum to post this in, so I figured I'd give it a shot here...

I've been getting tired of seeing my high-pinion Dana 30 and 29-spline 8.25 I bought continuing to gather rust, so I went ahead and bought a proper air compressor and am ready to start tearing these things down and get the housings primed and ready to go for rebuilding (plus WJ/XK disc swaps on front and rear respectively). My only question at this point is this...

What abrasive media would be the most ideal for this process? Aluminum oxide appears to be ideal for rust removal, but isn't exactly cheap. What media would you guys recommend as being the best balance between efficacy and price? These axles are from a '97 (so I'm told) and appear to have sat outside for some time, so there are several layers of flaky rust visible on the pumpkins themselves. These will be blasted outside, so media collection is likely out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

I have read and heard that ground corn cob is a good blasting media. I have no personal experience blasting at all, but if I were to give it a shot I would start there. Its cheap at like $10/50lb bag and it doesnt etch glass (handy on vehicles).

As stated, never tried it myself, but its worth a shot, and this way it can be swept into the yard and forgotten about. This is what I would personally use because we throw it away at work when we are done tumbling parts and its $FREE.99

Honestly, after doing just about all of the mentioned above, a wire wheel on a good angle grinder works the best. Especially if you have no method of capturing, all your expensive media is just thrown on the ground.

For blasting, do not use play sand. It stays damp forever and only clogs the gun. Silicon carbide or whatever it is works well. Anything biodegradable (walknuts, corn, etc) work well on soft metals. Aluminum, brass, copper, and the rest. On steel, it will barely do a thing.

Get a wire wheel, do as much as you can. Then use a blaster to finish up all the little nooks and crannies you couldn't get. The wheel is also MUCH faster. Blasting requires wayyyy too much patience.

X2 on what Dan said. I'd hit it with an angle grinder + twisted wire wheel real fast and sloppy to take off all the loose junk and large expanses of rust then get the crevices, pockets, and corners the wire wheel doesn't fit into with a sandblaster/media blaster.

Unless you can build a blasting booth to collect the used media and recycle it, that is.

Back