• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a MUST buy for jeepers with stock speakers

This would have cost me $115 on crutchfield with the deal they have. Theirs is 1 pair $70 and the second half off. Doesnt qualify for free shipping because its not enough total so thats another $11.

Got them at amazon for $79 and will be here in two days! Thanks again.

I just put 6.5s in the front of my 97. Fit perfectly and didn't have to drill any new holes.

Just so people know .... putting in aftermarket speakers without an amp will usually leave you dissapointed. The sound will be clear, but there will actually be a lot LESS bass than with the factory speakers. Factory speakers are designed to run well off the low power output of factory head units. Aftermarket speakers need more power behind them to produce a good full sound.

just ordered 2 pair. thanks for the find!

I see two posts ^^^ saying $80/pair, but I'm seeing it even cheaper. Did amazon switch the link?
Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver)
List Price: $119.95
Price: $39.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
You Save: $79.96
In Stock.

I see two posts ^^^ saying $80/pair, but I'm seeing it even cheaper. Did amazon switch the link?
In Stock.
$39.99 x 2pairs (4 speakers) =~ $80
that's is what i ended up spending

Kicker 6x9s all the way around in my XJ, sounds better then my ZJ with kicker components front and rear:loveu:

I have those same ones. They're great!

I got em for 40 out the door when circuit city closed.

6.25's fit in the front of my 01 no prob.

The back I could only fit 5.25's.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered some for my 91 and I will just cut the doors out to fit them. My 5.25s just don't do it!

In Stock.

If you are talking about my post I bought 2 pairs.

How do these compare with the Infinity Reference series? I'm looking at new speakers and currently have a set of Blaupunkt ones in but was thinking of Infinity...but maybe I'll just give these a go instead...

I know I can tell you my polk DB series components are MUCH better than my friends Infiniti reference components in his cherokee. However, it could be just that my eclipse amp is better than his alpine ?

I squeezed a pair of these into my 94 country. Because of their size, they don't sit down in the recess of the door where the stock speakers fit. This causes the tweeter to hit the speaker grill, but with some razor knife trimming to the back of the grill, you can get them to work pretty well. They hold the door panel out just a little it, but it's all clipped back into place and doesn't rattle, look funny, or have any other issues.

If you were really serious, you could probably cut the door out and fab up some mounting space out of 1/4" mdf and have them sit low enough to clear the door panel. The depth of the speaker should not be an issue on the pre-facelift jeeps since the window is not that far forward in the door.

And they are excellent sounding speakers. I have them hooked up to an Alpine CDA-105. They do not make a ton of bass, but would probably be improved considerably with an amp. Of course, a subwoofer is the best solution for bass though.

How do they compare over stock when powered from the cd receiver? I only ask b/c I wasn't planning to power them from an amp.

Ordered! Thanks for the link. I just saved this year's NAXJA membership fee with that deal and I will get a new set of speaks for my XJ to boot. Plus, free shipping. Rock on.

Oh, and 6.5" work front and rear on both of my '99 XJs.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've seen people say different things....On my 99 will these fit in the doors AND speaker bar in the headliner? Do I need the slims, or will these still fit?
I had the Polk Audio DB650's in the doors and the headliner soundbar in my 99 and they fit fine. I think the DB651's are essentially the same as the DB650's they replaced. Took mine out of the doors because I didnt like the way the tweeter hits the door panel. Replaced with some Polk Audio DB6501's with crossover and seperate tweeter (sound better mounted up high like the factory Infinity setup) :guitar:

Last edited:
Back