• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Frosty axle swap thread

What I should have said is weld through primers work to an extent. Sure you are putting something there however it burns around the weld and you no longer have the protection you wanted there. This has been my first hand experience with weld through.

As for seam sealer it’s a good idea in the beginning. However you’ll have to reseal after some time has passed due to deterioration. Also you should account for the holes that were in the unibody to begin with. You’ve just plated over them and you drive through a puddle you now have water in those holes acting like a bowl and seeping through the cracks. Seal that up and you are good to go. I guess if you want to reseal ever so often then it’s for you.

Either way I’m not extremely knowledgable about sealers. I’m the type that goes into the store picks something up reads the label and goes on his way. I know what they do and I know not all of them last.

As for looking at what others have done you have to take it with a grain of salt. Just because they use or don’t use a sealer doesn’t make it right nor wrong. I would say today’s cars aren’t made to last forever but thats a subject I don’t want to get into. Although I do like have they dunk them into those fancy chemical baths. If only our Xj’s got that treatment.
as for the weld through primer, i think what you're saying is like saying that there's no point to paint a car because if you scratch it, it will rust in that spot. I think any protection is better than none. it's easier to patch a few small rust holes around the welds than to replace a huge rusted section of the frame rail. i grew up in the rust belt and fixed A LOT of rust so i have some first hand experience with this. It's a lot different there than the dry arid climate of California and Nevada.
As for seam sealer, it seems to last at least 21 years so far, the stuff on my jeep is still perfectly fine. in my 15 years of working on old cars, i've never seen it fail.

Nice build! Oh to add to this about small convo about primers and sealers, I'm nearing my installation of my HD stiffeners and plan on using weld through primer as well as a seam sealer, but I also live in the northeast and plan on keeping my jeep as long as it'll last me.I also think that if you use quality products it plays a factor in how long the primer ect will last..

The first time I wire wheeled with a drill I learnt that a lose shirt is not the way to go. Got caught up and had some nice marks across my abdomen. After that I tend not to have anything that can get caught in the rotations.

That happened to me last year except with a dewalt grinder and the hard coarse wire wheel. I was wearing a jacket, had my underwear pulled up and it pretty much raped me. It caught an edge on an odd piece, shot towards my abdomen and proceeded to undress me before I knew what happened.

as for the weld through primer, i think what you're saying is like saying that there's no point to paint a car because if you scratch it, it will rust in that spot. I think any protection is better than none. it's easier to patch a few small rust holes around the welds than to replace a huge rusted section of the frame rail. i grew up in the rust belt and fixed A LOT of rust so i have some first hand experience with this. It's a lot different there than the dry arid climate of California and Nevada.
As for seam sealer, it seems to last at least 21 years so far, the stuff on my jeep is still perfectly fine. in my 15 years of working on old cars, i've never seen it fail.

I would agree that any protection is better than none. I guess what I was trying to get at but went off course is that I just haven’t had any luck with weld through primer. But that experience comes from living in Colorado. Either way I hear what you’re saying and agree for the most part.

Nice build! Oh to add to this about small convo about primers and sealers, I'm nearing my installation of my HD stiffeners and plan on using weld through primer as well as a seam sealer, but I also live in the northeast and plan on keeping my jeep as long as it'll last me.I also think that if you use quality products it plays a factor in how long the primer ect will last..

I like quality… and make sure you post some pics.

That happened to me last year except with a dewalt grinder and the hard coarse wire wheel. I was wearing a jacket, had my underwear pulled up and it pretty much raped me. It caught an edge on an odd piece, shot towards my abdomen and proceeded to undress me before I knew what happened.

Now thats painfully funny.:rof:

Back