• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A cookin lil 4.0 Many, many, thanks 2 the senior builders at NAXJA

rebuilt

NAXJA Forum User
'91 XJ 4wd Laredo. Factory 5 spd.

This site and the knowledgable members are to credit for this one. A lot of thought, some serious research by yours truly, 2 great machinists, a wad of real green, and a few previous builds did the rest.

The body looks like crap. Thanks to a donor '90, that problem is soon to be alleviated. No pics. Its that bad. It's the drivetrain that makes this one cook. Go way back in archives and check my ancient posts, questions, and the killer answers I recieved.

Just the facts ma'am... Sargeant Joe Friday of Dragnet. Dated myself bigtime.

From the grill back. 3 row Modine radiator. Had to cut the block to .060 over to clean up #1. Overheating was a concern with a cut that rad. Fixed that with the 3 row. New water pump. No heat problems even in tow. On the breathing, fuel and machine work; as follows. Gets pure gearhead from here. Air 1st. Air Raid CAI. One afternoon. Straight bolt up. No mods. 63mm throttle body. (The guy from Minnesota) As a note, he does beautiful work. New shaft and bushings, custom cut butterfly. The polishing is smooth as a baby's butt. Shame I can't remember his name. NO WHISTLE. NONE. Up front core charge, but he made good when I shipped him mine. Straight bolt up. Transfer TPS from old or put a new one on. I went with new. 20lb Bosch Green Meanie injectors. 19's are stock. 5.0 Motorsports. California. (Internet) Refurbed. The price was right, the perfomance, perfect. Stock valve job. Stock cam. Stock lifters, rods and arms. .060 over Silvolite's with chrome molly rings on resized rods. Crank cut at .010-.010 under. Block line bored for true.. New oil pump. (duh) New distributor. Stock ignition. Brass cap and button. New heavy duty clutch, pressure plate and T/O bearing. Complete overhaul of brake system, minus master cyl. New rotors, calipers up front, new wheel cylinders, shoes and cut drums in the rear.To clear the waste...... Gibson 16 gauge stainless headers. Pricey at $400 but come with a 1 million mile guarantee and go to a true collector. All 6 pipes are welded together to a true 1 piece collector. Not the stock 2 piece split welded piece of crap that came factory. On to a legit high flow cat then a Flowmaster 40. At 50K miles, she'll wrap up to red line anytime I want 2 stand on it. The build as is has altered the power curve a bit. Mine gets saucey at 1450 to 1500 rpm, and will go past the little red mark with no complaint. 3rd gear is good for 35 to 85 mph, no prob. MPG?? 19 if I behave with nothing in tow. (Class 5 Reese hitch) Even on the friggin E10 gas. 20 to 21 on conventional reg. Runs real good on Sam's Club premium. As low as 14 if I get funny with the skinny pedal on the right. This little one makes the v'8s burn more fuel...... They can't stand it when she rumbles by. It was a lot of fun to build, and is even more fun to drive. You guys at NAXJA are the absolute best. I read from a couple of legit guru's on this one. At 50K on the build, running straight 30 weight Rotella T diesel engine oil with no additives, she shows 60psi till warm, then will fall as low as 47. More than a believer. Lookin a manual 6 speed. My chassis has 245k on it. Regards... Kevin

Last edited:
Sounds good Kevin. If you haven't already, get some axles from an auto XJ to bump the 3.07 gearing up to 3.55 and keep an eye out for a 99+ intake manifold.

Back