• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ 4.5" Lift Selection

blaker_99

NAXJA Forum User
I know this threa has been around a few times but I can't find much on the topic. What 4.5" lift woud you all reccomend for a 98 xj. I will be doing a bit of trail riding, hunting, fishing etc. nothing crazy i was looking at the Rusty's 4.5" system for $699....... I was stearing away from Rouch Country because I installed a lift of there a few years ago and the leafs snapped within a month or so not good!! Maybe they have changed what are most of you running?? Thanks everyone for all the great input and i look forward to hititn the trails soon. Cheers

I'd stay away from rustys. From what I hear most of their fabbed stuff is more or less on the junky side. Rubicon Express is the best in the business IMO. They are a little on the expensive side but you do get what you pay for.

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is are you going to want to go bigger. If the answer is yes then put yourself into something now that you can "upgrade" with little expense. Thats the mistake I made, I purchased a SA kit then 7 months down the road had to do it all over again and get a LA setup. There are alot of factors involved... is it going to be on or offroad more. How "comfortable" of a ride do you want. What kind of flex are you looking to get. There are alot of good companies. Rockkrawler, Rubicon Express, Claytons, BDS, Rusty's ect. ect.

If you're looking for the best bolt on kit?

RE 4.5, add drop brackets and HD trackbar.

As far as rough country goes, I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of their products - but their service is AMAZING and I would happily install their stuff any day of the week.

I would however steer you away from rusty's. The quality of products isn't great and the service is usually worse.

I agree with Flexdout. Think about going bigger now. I run the TnT 6" LA and it's awesome. If you are going to go taller than 4.5" and it's a DD, go long arm.

RE / TnT conbo is my vote.

Have fun.......

I was planning on just staying with a 4.5" and 33's no bigger as it will be my daily driver and more on road than off road. Like i had said i am not going to running the jeep of road a ton just casual trails and some hunting and fishing trips. I do not intend on crazy mud holes and crawling so just a nice bolt on kit would be the way i'd be going. Sorry guys and gals im not great with the abreviations o companies full names would be great. thank alot cheers

Then if I were you I would go with a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex Lift with 31" tires. You can do A LOT with that set up. CAll Dave at Northridge4x4 and he will take care of you.

blaker_99 said:
I was planning on just staying with a 4.5" and 33's no bigger as it will be my daily driver and more on road than off road. Like i had said i am not going to running the jeep of road a ton just casual trails and some hunting and fishing trips. I do not intend on crazy mud holes and crawling so just a nice bolt on kit would be the way i'd be going. Sorry guys and gals im not great with the abreviations o companies full names would be great. thank alot cheers

SharkXJ said:
Then if I were you I would go with a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex Lift with 31" tires. You can do A LOT with that set up.

x2

i wouldnt do 33's with stock gearing.

I was really looking forward to running a 33" tire is it really going to be that bad? or should i consider a smaller lift and 31's?

This was when I was on the lift I mentioned above.

47b5d820b3127ccecb173b5593f500000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

47b5d820b3127ccecb17b09752da00000016108AaNmrVu0ZNge3nwE

Throw in a limited slip or lunch box locker in the rear and you will be amazed where you can go. Honestly - when I was on 3.5" of lift and 31's I could do all of the trails I have done in the last two years except for maybe Swamp Lake and the Rubicon. I probably could have done those with a lot of spotting.

blaker_99 said:
I was really looking forward to running a 33" tire is it really going to be that bad? or should i consider a smaller lift and 31's?

What gear ration do you have now? If you are going to run 33's you should re-gear to 4:56.

Even running 31's on anything less than 4:10 gearing messes with things a little bit.

3.5" RE, 31s, and stock gearing = good.

33s and stock gearing = bad.

For a 4.5" lift: RE6130 with Drop Brackets, HD Trackbar and Brace, regear to 4.56 for your 33s, and plan to spend a lot of money. Hmmm..sounds kinda like mine. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/myjeep.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

i curently have 3:55gears. i dont mind swapping the gears out if it really has no low end torque but on the other hand i dont really nee it for driving around town. i still want to keep decent gas mileage and a nice daily driver.

Been there, done that - 3.55 on 32s sucks. Mileage and seat-of-the pants power increased when regeared, and the mileage had been corrected for tire size and later the gear choice.

Jim

I was thinking since i wouldlike to maintain decent highway rpms i was going to go with a 4:10 set up is it a happy medium if im not a hardcore trail rider?

blaker_99 said:
what gears did you decide to go with?

Yucca-Man said:
3.5" RE, 31s, and stock gearing = good.

33s and stock gearing = bad.

For a 4.5" lift: RE6130 with Drop Brackets, HD Trackbar and Brace, regear to 4.56 for your 33s, and plan to spend a lot of money. Hmmm..sounds kinda like mine. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/myjeep.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com
It's all in the link. 4.10 will be slightly less gearing than stock, and 4.27s will put everything just about to stock...but that's not available for our XJ applications. Therefore, 4.56 it is. I've enjoyed it with no problems for years on mine.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back