• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 cherokee...parts or fixable?

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
just over a year ago, I found this 98 xj in town...all smashed up, the owner wanted $1300 for it. I said no way, call me back when you're more realistic. well, he called back this past friday and wanted $600. I said maybe, but I'd have to look closer...called back and we've agreed on $450.

it's a 98 4.0 5 speed (external slave) np231 (sealed output) 29 spline 8.25, 4x4, 3.07's. all power, cruise, tilt, air only thing it doesn't have is heated seats. 1000 miles ago it got a new radiator, h20 pump, radiator hoses, heater hoses, and thermostat. it runs GREAT and drives good considering the bent front axle.

it was hit pretty hard up front. the bumper is pushed 1.5" to the passenger side. the top and bottom of the frame rails are square, and measurements show they're in the proper spots. the sides, however, of the rail on the drivers side, are rippled. the steering box is tilted toward the driver's side by around 15 degrees. looking at it, the lower bolt holes got divoted in on the frame rail, but the top bolt hole for the steering box is still in the proper location. I think I can straighten it with a winch and a hammer to tap and relieve stress to realign the molecules. then perhaps reinforce it with a inner and outer frame plate. the front axle is bent, too...but I'm not going to cry about that.

it also got hit in the rear left quarter at some point, and there are a couple ripples where the rear liftgate mounts to the roof, and one on each side in front of the rear side windows. so it's not a "restoration" type jeep...it would be a beater. the body is, luckily, still square. all of the doors seal and close.

I'll post the pics below, but basically I'm wondering if you would strip and scrap it, or if you would toss the 4.5" lift I have laying around, with the 3.73 axles I have in it, 31's, and beat on it. my wheeling truck is getting stripped and rebuilt this summer, so I won't have a wheeling rig unless I do this.

100_0488.jpg

100_0489.jpg

100_0490.jpg

100_0491.jpg

100_0492.jpg

100_0493.jpg

100_0494.jpg

100_0495.jpg

100_0496.jpg

100_0497.jpg

100_0487.jpg

i would build it as a wheeler since you are rebuilding yours any way, then when your done having you fun with it sell it

you have the parts to fix it, and it was cheep

thanks. I just wanted to hear something like that so I know I'm not going crazy

i wouldn't scrap it... looks nicer than most of the XJ's left on the road up here haha. thats a decent price. perfect oppurtunity for a beater IMO

Put new body panels on it, make it look fairly nice, and keep it as a winter beater or testing/project rig

Looks like it needs a fender, header panel, bumper, endcap, perhaps a few other small pieces and then it should look fairly good. I wouldn't pass it up if you could get it for cheap!

I'm going to set things straight here.

I need a substitute wheeler for the summer. my lifted 87 comanche is going under the knife, and it won't be a quick project. I'm sick of fixing it every time I go wheeling, so I'm tearing it completely down and completely redoing the truck with ALOT of armor including boatsides.

I also intend to make it a 97+ conversion. the exact year I wanted for parts was 98...because it's not the interchange year for anything. and, I wanted a 5 speed, because only XXXXXXs can't wheel a manual.

so, once the body is done on the mj, and once it's painted, with the motor back in, I'll be stripping this xj to the ground, plasma cutting the floors and rockers (if the rockers are still good by then), selling the motor and all of the rear trim pieces, and using this as my mj conversion.

so I guess I should have said that from the get-go. I just wanted to know what everyone thought of the frame damage...which unfortunately you can't see very well. it's fairly straight, but like all MJ guys, I look at xj's as unworthy of monetary investment. they are my bread and butter for good, clean parts.

OMG.. Its toast!! Part that thing out ASAP!!!!
And sell me the laundry list of parts I need for my XJ!!!! Im local..... think about it....

what type of things do you need?

I'm going to need the dash wiring, dash, steering column, front doors, front seats, center console, heaterbox, all dash electronics, cooling system, a/c system, all engine sensors, engine wiring, transmission, flywheel, front driveshaft, and transfercase.

I'll probably also want the passenger side fender.

judging from what you've shown already there's going to be a ton of rust under the carpet

doubtful. the underside of this thing is rust free.

Damn, that has all the right parts to fix mine up... and the right color! If you do decide to part it, I have been looking for driver side doors and maybe a pass fr fender for mine...

with that much rust on it, id say part it. but hey, im in phoenix so what do i know?

with that much rust on it, id say part it. but hey, im in phoenix so what do i know?

UMM...WHAT RUST?

there is rust on the fubar'd fender, because where the paint/metal was cracked/chipped, was exposed, there is no rust on the floors, rockers, or doors. axles and drivetrain parts ALWAYS have rust on them...it's called surface rust, and it's not that much.

159xxx miles.

my dad's diesel comanche is now running on 3 of the 4 cylinders. I just re-sealed the brand new renault diesel for it, but it needs a restore so this xj will be fixed real quick to look good, and I'm trading it for the diesel.

Back