• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Fuel pump issues

Yes, I have found a few threads on different forums involving the same issue. I currently am having the same issue with my 99 and was hoping to get a response of at least one of their relief's.

. Acts just like turning off the ignition.if I leave the ac running the vehicle will not restart.
Cycling the key the fuel pump never turns on.turn off the AC cycle the key and it will fire right up. I'm so confused.

Some fuel pumps are very quiet, get under the rear of the Jeep and have someone cycle the key, the pump. only runs for a second.
If power is cut to the fuel pump, the engine usually will stumble before stopping, it's not sudden, like turning the ignition on and off.

Are any wires, under the dash, moving when the brake pedal is pushed?

I was going to mention it could be a PCM issue. I am not entirely certain of the logic of the PCM but issues like this make me think there could be computer problem. If you have addressed the possible causes as mentioned above, than could it hurt to try a known good PCM? I am considering the same, I have slightly different problems with mine but I have searched long and hard to resolve them, nothing seems to work amd throwing good money at it isnt going to happen only to find its a PCM logic issue. Just my two cents.

The logical thing to suspect is a wire harness issues or connectivity issues at the fuses or relays. Don't get to overly focused on the actions that trigger the symptoms, and fail to start at the beginning with basics, testing and inspection. Unplug the A/C compressor and see if that cures it. Pull all the A/C fuses and relays, see if that cures it. Make sure ALL of the ground connections are clean and snug. Inspect the connections of the backside of the fuse box and the relays.

PCM failure is very highly unlikely. Unless all the more common and logical cause for the symptoms have been tested, inspected, and eliminated, throwing a PCM at the problem is just like throwing any other parts at an undiagnosed problem, it seldom works. If one has access to a known good PCM, or can purchase one for a reasonable cost, there is no harm in testing the PCM by replacement.

Last edited:
Back