• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj country wont crank.

30013Z3R0

NAXJA Forum User
Before I get into this I've read quite a few threads on here and cannot find one that replicates the problem I am having.

97 xj country 4.0 auto. Wont crank. Starter tests fine by crossing over, but even then it wont run. Tries to fire but acts like its not getting spark. Relays under the hood have been swapped with known working relays. All fuses check out ok. I can't do the relays behind the kick panel though but they are clicking at least. Tried to start in neutral as well. No sound from the starter at all. No power to the solenoid wire when turning the ignition. Can hear the fuel pump running. No security system.....

Whatever it is is keepin the starter from getting the signal on the small solenoid wire and keeping the ignition from firing.

I've checked the wiring up to the PDC under the hood for the starter. I can pull the relay and use a jumper from the battery to the appropriate terminal in the PDC spot for the starter relay and it will turn over so my connections from there to the starter are solid. The relay clicks with the key but doesn't send power to the solenoid wire to start....

it can either be the nss, relay, fuse, or ignition switch. start from the signal into to the relay and if its geting it then change relay. if nothing still then its the nss. take it off take it apart and clean it

Finally got a second person to help out again so I could test for sure that the starter relay was indeed engaging. Pulled the other relays except the starter and it doesn't click. put in the ASD relay and the starter relay and no click from the starter relay so I'm guessing when I thought it was clicking before it was the 3 that are practically wedged against it clicking and I was just feeling them through the starter relay. It wont run if I crank it at the PDC with the key on so I'm putting my $$ on the Ignition switch with a slight chance of wiring. The jeep is pretty unmolested so that makes me think the switch as well.

Back