• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97-'01 Window regulator fix for $20

How long have the cotter pin fixes lasted for you guys? My '98 most likely just did this tonight and outside of the cotter pin fix, the repair is not in my budget.

I'm going on two years with mine. That's because I spent and hour on mine rather than rushing to get it done in 30 minutes. :D

Dad decided he didn't like the cotter pin fix so he went and bought the factory replacement, we just finished installing that in the cold and damp (what we should be getting this time of year....) weather. They did rework the part and it does look stronger than the stocker did.

Yea, we did and kept the old one for the drivetrain in it. Honestly, we spent more.time screwing around with the shop manual disk trying to make sure there wasn't going to be a spring flying out the door at us than we did doing the whole repair, and that includes trying to re-connect the aftermarket d/s door speaker to the r/c battery connector we have it on! If this happens again on another window, I'd go with the new Chysler piece since it will likely outlast the truck at this point.

About 2 years ago, the PO installed a Dorman window regulator and motor.
It has failed already. I ordered a used motor from Ebay. I assume it's an OEM motor.
Will the OEM motor fit into a Dorman regulator assembly?
I didn't think about this when I bought just a replacement motor.

5 minutes to remove the door panel? It's like a few screws and pops out and the vapor barrier I didn't remove just pulled away the part I need access to.
t.

LOL. First time, it took me over 1 hour to remove the door panel. I had no idea how to remove those 2 clips. Oh, and it took another 10 minutes to figure out how to unplug the electrical connectors. Nothing EVER goes as planned when working on cars. I agree, 30 mins. is a nonsense time estimate.

LOL. First time, it took me over 1 hour to remove the door panel. I had no idea how to remove those 2 clips. Oh, and it took another 10 minutes to figure out how to unplug the electrical connectors. Nothing EVER goes as planned when working on cars. I agree, 30 mins. is a nonsense time estimate.

You have to remember that most people on NAXJA operate like they are in a pit stop, and can have their XJ up on jack stands in less than 30 seconds.

It's probably takes about a 1-2 minutes to remove a door panel if you've done it a million times (which I have). I like to take my time with things, especially since the linkage rods are easy to bend.

Seriously, 27 minutes? That's pretty damn impressive.

Fastest I ever did something like that was 75 minutes, gate-to-gate, at the you pull it... to pull and buy an NV4500 manual trans out of a dodge fullsize pickup. Monday's junkyard run went way smoother than I expected :repair:

Sheeeeeet.. I can have my engine out and on the stand in 27 minutes.

You, Sir, have a future in the auto recycling industry!

Well my pass window fell down coming back from Valentines dinner with Gf about an hour ago. Pulled the door panel off in the rain and used vice grips to keep the window up which took about 10 minutes. Got home, found this thread, and had the Steiger kit ordered in 30 minutes. Naxja rocks!

Back