• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Mild Build Thread

The stock reverse lights are a major buzz kill. I took one of the 6" light bars that used to live on my old front bumper and mounted it behind my rear bumper/tire carrier. Did a relay setup for extra insurance and will only turn on when I shift into reverse. It was a nice little project that required little money.

Save some money and start feeding this with some tube. First up, front clip modification with tube for protection.

I've got a black 95 around back that I'm parting out if you need anything. Are you going to flip the 300? What axles are you thinking?

I've got a black 95 around back that I'm parting out if you need anything. Are you going to flip the 300? What axles are you thinking?

Thanks! I will keep that in mind about spare parts. The 300 will be flipped. I was seriously considering running it pass side drop and doing FZJ80 axles but I looked under the XJ the other night and saw how retarded the floor boards get if you ran a tcase passenger side drop.

Axles in mind are 05-present super duty axles. They are currently all the rave right now and I want to jump on board. Unless a KingPin 60 pops up cheaper than a SD 60 then that is the plan of action.

On a time line right now I want to start bending some tube for the bumper -> flip the dana 300 -> axle swap with new suspension links :explosion and when money becomes present the hybrid cage will come to fruition.

Interested to see how the 300 rebuild goes. I've never been in one and mine needs to come out soon (at least before the next Crawl). I'm still stuck in low range!

Everything else is looking good! Hope to see you in Harlan next year!

Took some early vacation before christmas and decided to knock out the tube bender setup that I have been visioning. I my current living situation is not permanent so I did not want to start bolting stuff into the garage floor or building a small slab of concrete outdoors. I was debating getting a air/hydro/ setup for bending but the costs were just too much since I do not have an air compressor here then the price of the brackets and the pump.

Instead I decided to build a platform that will mount the bender and allow me to stand on it. With my fat azz standing on it there will be no problem. Later this platform will probably be a welding table but for now I will stand on it :rolleyes:

I have collected some railroad artifacts over some time now so the mount for the bender will be on an old railroad track plate. I am always excited to test my stick welding skills and it is fun using some old/recycled metal :us:

I use a combination of 6013 and 7018 1/8" electrodes. Once I find the right setting it lays down a clean weld. If I stored my electrodes properly I probably wouldn't get the porosity that shows up every now and then.

Had to add a little extra of a railroad touch to hang stuff :)

After Christmas time I will install some shackle relocation boxes from HD Offroad. Been wanting to buy some for a while now to get a little better shackle angle and get the shackle away from the rear body/crossmember thingy behind the leaf spring box.​

Nice welding Nick! I started on a Lincoln buzz box when I was 8. No helmet, just my hand to shield the arc, I still have spots in my eyes. Weld by feel ;-) When you live on a farm you do what you have to do to keep the junk running.

My welds looked like crap then and they still do now but I have never had a weld fail......ever.

Nice welding Nick! I started on a Lincoln buzz box when I was 8. No helmet, just my hand to shield the arc, I still have spots in my eyes. Weld by feel ;-) When you live on a farm you do what you have to do to keep the junk running.

My welds looked like crap then and they still do now but I have never had a weld fail......ever.

Thanks John! I have started to prefer my stick welder over my mig/flux core. I feel much more confident in these welds no doubt about it!

Well today I felt proactive and eager to put on the shackle re-locators from HD Offroad. Went on problem free :D I have chevy 1500 shackles so they lifted the rear of the jeep about two inches total when it was all said in done. I need a 2* shim now to get the pinion in the proper spot again. Before these my 35s rubbed just a hair at full flex. Should not have that problem anymore.

I got some real shocks to replace some no name shocks that have been getting me by. Also had to replace the half ass shock mount I had on the axle with some official hardware from barnes4wd. Went ahead and used rough country rear shock thread replacement while I was doing this. One of the rear shock bolts in the body popped out.

Tried getting the Lincoln 110v mig to weld on the mounts. No doubt it would have worked doing normal horizontal welding but I didn't want to disconnect the axle all the way so I decided to weld it stick 7018 out of position. It was a bitch.

Getting ready to hit Harlan this weekend!

(Que the glowing light and heavenly angel noise)

My order for the dana 300 came in the mail finally!
I went ahead and sold my soul to JB conversions. Gana pimp out the dana 300 with everything minus the 32 spline outputs :dunno: I had read reviews about how awesome the manufacturing quality was on the gears and they definitely lived up to their hype.

The gear teeth are massive. I am pretty sure they are stronger than dana 30 ring gear teeth :eek:

I will empty the 300 case here soon then trim the case for the gear then add a few fittings for a vent tube and a oil sight tube. Last thing I need to do is order an adapter ring and shifter/cables.

Last edited:
Back