• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 Gearing from 3.55 to 4.56

Does anyone do thick cuts for the 30? That could be another option if you don't want to get a 3.73 carrier.

Not an option for the D30. Was once available for a very short run, but if I recall that was for the CJ style low pinion D30 without crush sleeve. And that was about 10 yrs ago.

A carrier is only 75$.

I think it's the same size as a 4.88 I believe as they had to change the ratio or something around to be able to accomplish it without the pinion getting smaller

5.13 in a d30, The pinion gear must be smaller on the gear side than the nut side!

Is this an issue?
I personally have seen and wheeled with a few times, a TJ that is more capable than any other rig I have ever witnessed on 35's, that has a D30 high pinion and a Dana 35. It has 30sp front and rear with a e-locker rear and Yukon Grizzly rear. 35" MTR's. One of the First non race car, designed and installed Savvy / Blaine suspension systems. And have seen it climb vertical ledges that no TJ XJ or WJ has, on 35's. This jeep has done all the "nasty" trails in Johnson Valley (Known as the Hammers), except backdoor, so far.

He has never broken a gear set. He has twisted 4340 rear axles a bit, and has worn out the joint area on front, over the last few years. But this rig is regularly on the Hardest of trails that California has to offer. Twisting splines on only a 30spline shaft on 35" tires is kinda expected.

Really tho, the 35 is still a POS. You can put a bunch of money into it, but it still a ticking time bomb. If the op is capable of setting up gears or at least considering it, I'm sure he's capable of putting in an 8.25 or something.

Back