• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 xj brakes and starter issues...

CAMO XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a buddy who has a 91 xj. It has some kind of funny brakes. They have went to the bad and to get the brakes to work you have to stand on the pedal. What do you guys think the problem is and how hard to fix it?

Also they have the starter bypassed to a push button. I think he said something about a neutral safety swith being bad. How could we fix this?

Does he have ABS? If so, search for "Bendix ABS brakes." It is an electric system that fails if you breath on it wrong (Chrysler has a lifetime warranty on the part it is so bad), and doesn't use the vacuum assisted diaphragm booster to push the fluid through the lines. This means if the pump or accumulator goes, you have manual brakes that don't work well, as you probably have found out. Look up '95-'96 brake booster swaps or WJ brake booster swaps.

Could I buy a power brake booster and master cylinder for the same year xj that does not have the bendix system? Would that make an easier swap?

I'm not sure of the change over year for the ABS. Renix 87-90 had the crummy ABS, not sure when it changed over. If you have the better Chryco ABS, your problem could be as simple as a couple fuses.

However, you would need a MC, booster, maybe a different proportioning valve, and some short lines to hook things up.

That said, the 95-96 XJ MC and dual-diaphragm booster is an excellent upgrade, or the WJ MC/booster is another popular upgrade--if you are going to dump the ABS might as well end up with a better-than-original system.

Joe, '91 was the last year of the Bendix ABS, the Renix weren't the only ones who had it.

OP, If this is what your friend has, replace it. This is from my '91.
DSC_0568.jpg

Could I buy a power brake booster and master cylinder for the same year xj that does not have the bendix system? Would that make an easier swap?
In short yes, but its not going to do anything for you. The '91 used a single diaphragm booster, which was not as good as the dual diaphragm booster. The dual diaphragm booster from a '95-'96 will fit just the same as a single diaphragm (you may need the brake pedal from the donor vehicle as well), but will give you much better brakes. If you are going to go through the hassle of the swap, there is no point in swapping in the lesser of the two boosters.

Thanks for the info, Begster. I couldn't remember the cut off. Getting old sucks. I think. What was I talking about?

No, just make sure you don't drop anything--disassemble inside a plastic bag works good for me.

wasn't the brake pedal different on the Bendix ABS that even the old single diaphragm system? I thought you needed a non-ABS pedal for any change????
any more light on this?

Btw guys this is the bendix abs system. I talked to a friend of mine who works at dodge as a tech and he said it had all the recalls taken care of in 97. He said they would not warranty the system because its to old.

What Im getting at is would a 91 mc and booster go in and not require making new lines? Im not scared to tackle the other part but hate messing with bending and making lines.

Also does anyone know for sure about the pedal thing stated? Will mine work with the non abs mc?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I did have to change my pedal when I used a '95 XJ booster. I think if you use a WJ booster, you won't have to.

The problem for me was that I couldn't get the booster rod onto the pin on the brake pedal, it was too high above the pin, and if I had managed to get the rod on, it would have been operating at too extreme of an angle.

I pulled the pedal, and it appeared the pin could be pressed out, a new hole drilled in the proper place, and then pressed back into the pedal. I was going to do this until I decided for sh*ts and giggles to see how the pedal from the '99 I just parted out would fit. It turns out the pin was in the exact place I need it to be, so I just swapped the pedal.

'91 pedal on left, '99 on right.
DSC_0684.jpg

Another one, this time '99 pedal on left, '91 on right.
DSC_0687.jpg

Here is the brake pedal info from the 91-93 Parts Catalog:

PEDAL, Brake
w/Manual Transmission
5207 7550 1 XJ,MJ All Except EUROPE
5207 7551 1 XJ EUROPE
5207 7974 1 ZJ Up to 10-26-92
5207 8491 1 ZJ After 10-26-92
w/Automatic Transmission
5207 7552 1 XJ,MJ w/o Anti-Lock Brakes, Except EUROPE 1991-92
5207 7553 1 XJ w/o Anti-Lock Brakes, EUROPE 1991-92
5207 7554 1 XJ w/Anti-Lock Brakes 1991-92