• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 xj brakes and starter issues...

When doing the 95 mc does it require the lines to be made? If so it seems the wj would be the easier swap. Also when you did the 95 did you have to grind the back side of the rod flat to make the brakelights work?

You are probably going to have to mess with lines either with the 95-96 or the WJ conversion.

Grab the MC, booster, lines and proportioning valve from the donor whichever way you go.

Use some coat hanger. Bend up a "template" for the new brake line(s) you need. Buy a tubing bender and a tubing flare set that will do double flairs from harbor freight or most discount parts stores carry them. Buy a piece of line and make it up. Easier to do than to describe.

How hard is it to get the pedal off? I was thinking I'd have to swap the whole assembly or something.

It is extremely easy to get the pedal off. Take the booster rod off, then remove the single bolt that holds it on. No need to swap assemblies, the '99 pedal bolted right up to the '91 bracket. Took me all of 5 minutes to remove the old one and put the new pedal in.

It is extremely easy to get the pedal off. Take the booster rod off, then remove the single bolt that holds it on. No need to swap assemblies, the '99 pedal bolted right up to the '91 bracket. Took me all of 5 minutes to remove the old one and put the new pedal in.
So from a donor vehicle I will need the following items
master cylinder
booster
pedal
proportioning valve

??????????

then Ill need to go to napa or something like that to buy the brake line and fittings that I will need?

I

Grab the lines that run from the MC to the proportioning valve. They are helpful in making up any new/different lines you need.

Once you have all of that you can bend up your templates, determine is there are any fittings that must be changed, etc.

On your donor right below the MC, just follow the lines from the MC they go right to it.

Yep, your list seems about right.

This is the prop valve, the thing with the orange tag on the end. It is attached to the booster/master cylinder assembly.

CopyofDSC_0001.jpg

Back