• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ wont start is not getting fuel

I was going to bypass the resistor but I wanted to try starting it again. When I tried starting the jeep it seemed to want to start. I still did not hear the fuel pump kick on in the ON position. So, i kept trying to start it and as long as I held the key down it would run. So, I pulled the wire off of the Starter Solenoid that operates the fuel pump. My 89 XJ has a motorcraft starter solenoid. This doesnt look like a typical starter solenoid. It is a silver box that has a 12v post with 4 splade connectors. I took the wire and applied a constant 12v. You can hear the fuel pump activate. The jeep will now run. I am going to purchase a new Motorcraft starter solenoid and hope this does the trick. I really do hate these Gremlins...

PuddinHead said:
Power for the fuel pump ballast resistor originates at the starter relay. Might want to take a look there as well as the ballast resistor on the driver side inner fender. Like you said your ignition switch could be bad.

I think what you're calling a starter solenoid is actually the STARTER RELAY. Its located on the passenger inner fender near 4 smaller cube shaped relays. It's large post is connnected to the plus battery and there are connections there for the ignition switch, starter solenoid (the starter solenoid is located on the starter), ballast resistor and several fuse link connections. The STARTER RELAY is activated by the ignition switch and provides ground path for the starter and plus battery power to the fuel pump when you are cranking the engine. You said your starter relay was a Motorcraft--well one thing about these XJ JEEPS they have Ford, GM and Renault parts in them from the factory!

After re-reading this thread I remembered something I should have thought of first. There is a fuel pump relay located on the passenger side inner fender in a row with three other cube shaped relays. This relay provides power to the Fuel pump when the engine is running. If this relay fails the engine will try to start but won't catch when you release the ignition switch. This relay is the third relay out from the firewall. Try swapping it with the one nearest the firewall (which controls the Air conditioning) to see if the Jeep will run.

EASY SOLUTION COMING UP? :

Had (almost) same problem 2 weeks ago. After going over all my connectors and cleaning them and putting some fancy grease in them (that I got from a friend (a fellow mechanic) that told me it was good for using in control units and all), my 88XJ would not start. Went over all connectors again but could not find anything wrong.

Spark was OK, I got fuel pressure on the injector rail, but my injectors didn't fire.

I consulted the FSM, and it said "Disconnect TPS and try starting". I disconnected the little bugger, and the engine started like a dream!!!

After cleaning out all the grease from the connector, I plugged the TPS back in, and everythin worked fine.

My point nr. 1 : A bad TPS could cause this. Try disconnecting it!

My point nr. 2 : Never trust a Citroën mechanic pushing magical grase... :clap:

TPS means throttle positioning sensor. Right? Where is this sensor located? Also, the Haynes manual at Autozone refers to it as the Motorcraft Starter Solenoid. So, it probably was a misprint. I did buy this starter thingy and will install it. But, I would like to uplug/plug the TPS before install the new starter thingy.

OK, The TPS is near the throttle body partially hidden by the large intake hose. The TPS has two 'halves' it is essentially two sensors in one. One side is connected to the engine while the other side is connected to the tranny (if automatic). The transmission connector is square shaped about 1" square and the engine connector is oblong. These connectors usually lie loose on top of the intake manifold near some vacuum lines. UNPLUG THE OBLONG CONNECTOR AND TRY TO START ENGINE. Please note that if it runs the TPS could be bad or improperly adjusted.:shocked:

If that doesn't work try swaping the fuel relay as I suggested. The relay thing is probably a long shot. I replaced the TPS on my 90 XJ which solved one problem but created a new one similar to your simptoms.:rattle: I think I finally have my TPS dialed in, but I may have a bad MAT sensor too. (I need to check it with the engine cold and I keep forgetting) Hopefully your TPS just needs adjustment. Good Luck.

Ok. I tried to unplug/plug the TPS sensor. I have swapped the starter relay several times. I also replaced the starter solenoid / relay box. Still will not start without applying 12v directly to the fuel pump. So, I removed the ignition switch and will buy a new one. I will not be able to work on it until the weekend. If that does not work, I will install a toggle switch and manually turn the fuel pump on before starting the vehicle. I will make sure I get a lighted toggle switch so I wont forget to turn it off so I wont run down the battery or burn up the fuel pump. I believe there is not much more I can check. The only thing that I have not checked or replaced is the ECM. But, since this is a ridge runner and not my daily driver I will install the toggle switch before buying a new ECM. Will keep you posted.

Without using a voltmeter it really is a bitch to try to troubleshoot anything electrical. (Heck it's a bitch with a voltmeter.) I hope the ignition switch cures it.

I appreciate everyone's help. There was a short in the wiring. I bypassed the wire, but eventually put a toggle switch on the power going to the fuel pump. It works, and there is an anti-theft device. Thanks again, for everyone's help.

Chris

Back