• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 with a rebuilt 94 motor?

sik4wheeler said:
Are you talking about the TDC mark on the newish harmonic balancer? If the timing on the dizzy is off it must have been right at one point since it does run and everytime I take it off I just move it forward or backward a tooth or two.

I dont think the TDC mark can be off since I am setting it to the mark everytime. Also before I put the head on the mark was at TDC and the #1 piston was at the top of the cylinder.

I'm not sayin the mark is inaccurate, I'm warning you that hte mark lines up for the TDC compression stroke and TDC exhaust stroke.

I have taken the dizzy out turned the crank around one time and no start. Took the dizzy back out turned the crank one more full revolution and it starts up but, ofcourse with the same popin and wont take any skiny pedal.

So I got the timing chain cover off last night and did not check it out since it was very late but, I felt for slop in the chain and there really is none except one side is a lil bit tighter than the other.

The funny thing now is that I reset the timing chain and crank at TDC and re ind4exed the dizzy and would not start. Turned the dizzy 180 out and started right up but, ran like it has been. So Why is it idling 180 out okay but wont even run normally?

sik4wheeler said:
Am I right by connecting the dots? Is there a different way?

yes, connect the dots.

why are you replacing the timing chain? what condition is the old one in? even if the old one had slop, the engine should still start.

Since no one has posted about it. Check to make sure your Ground Wire is hooked up to the back of the head on the drivers side that goes to the firewall.

I forgot to move mine over from my old motor to the new/used one I installed. Engine would run ok at idle up to about 1500-1800 rpms and then start stumbling like crazy. Back firing etc.

The ECU was getting a bad floating ground without the ground wire hooked from the firewall to the engine head.

Put ground on and it ran perfectly.

Okay so I have new ground and power cables installed from Jon (5-90). I bought a new 94 timing chain to check if it is the same as the one from the 89. I have discovered that when the dots are lined up the motor is on the exhaust stroke and not the compression. Turn another 180 degress (dots not lined up) and it is on the compression stroke. What is up with that??

You take the timing chain off and align the dots on the compression stroke with piston 1 at TDC.

Install the distributor pointing at cylinder #1 with spark plug wire #1.

That should set you straight.

The dots can only be lined up one way. And the compression stroke is when you take the number one plug out, turn the motor and air blows out the cylinder correct? I put the chain back on the motor that came out of the jeep and infact #1 valves are closed when the dots are opposite of each other and that is also when the air blows out the #1 cylinder spark plug.

Here is the proper way to find TDC

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_bring_a_motor_to_top_dead_center

Next...With cylinder 1 at TDC, the dots should be pointing AT each other. Crank dot UP and the cam dot DOWN. If not then you need to take sprockets off, manually move the cam to the point where the dots are pointing AT each other and then reinstall the gears with chain.

At this point, you install the distributor with #1 wire pointing AT #1 cylinder

This should get you in the ball park.

sik4wheeler said:
Is it possible that the flex plate could be casuing the problem? Was I suppose to put the flexplate back on the 94 motor a certain way?

You do mean the 1989 Flexplate, yes?

And no, the flex plate will only fit one way (the bolt holes are not evenly spaced).

Back