• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 no spark

Ok, if you have spark from the coil to the distributor, then all you need is the spring loaded contact in the center and the rotor, and then when the rotor turns BINGO--spark is distributed.

So, you need to determine where the breakdown is. If there is no spark distribution the problem is an open circuit in the cap's center tower, the contact between the center tower's spring-loaded button and the rotors contact; The rotor is not turning with the distributor shaft, or the distributor shaft is not turning at all times. Now, remove the distributor cap, grab the rotor and try and turn it. Use a reasonable amount of force. If that is Ok, then pull the distributor and see if the pin in the gear has sheared and is only catching intermittently. Another possibility is the coil wire is broken and has an intermittent open, but not very likely as it would present more as a weak spark. Check the inside of the distributor cap--look for a carbon track running from the center tower to the bottom rim--inside and out.

Okay, I found the problem. The ICM and/or coil doesn't work cold. I put it in the oven for a few minutes and now it works fine. I've done it a few times, so I'm pretty sure that's what it is. This is a brand new ICM and coil by the way.

Wow!

Could have tried it with a blow dryer or a heat gun, FYI.

Could be an issue with the clips that mount them together.

When I say no spark, I mean distribution. There is always spark from the coil, even when there isn't from the plug wires. I did everything on that list too.

Okay, I found the problem. The ICM and/or coil doesn't work cold. I put it in the oven for a few minutes and now it works fine. I've done it a few times, so I'm pretty sure that's what it is. This is a brand new ICM and coil by the way.

me thinks one of these two statements is in error

IF the "power" is enough to jump a 1/8th inch gap and give you a crisp blue spark, you're losing the power between mechanical parts.Coil wire-to-cap connection? Rotor-to-center post connection? Rotor-to-wire terminal gap? Plug wires-to-cap connections?

never got a positive answer to "IF the power is enough to jump a 1/8th inch gap and give you a crisp blue spark" question. I'm gonna assume it wasn't a crisp blue spark. Power can flow through the primary side of the coil and (when the circuit is collapsed) cause a secondary flow of power without making enough electricity to give spark at the plug.

The CPS can be bad even if it reads the right resistance. It sure sounds like a bad CPS to me.

Back