• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'87-'91 Waggy D44's?

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
I've searched for all the Waggy info I could on here and I've only heard up to '86 recommended. Anything about the '87-'91 axles to avoid? Are there any different versions or were they all the same (during those years)? I know some years were disconnect, but only '83ish?

I found a couple different places that I could get both front and rears for $200-$400 (plus shipping), some with newer brakes. Any thoughts?

Thanks

The 87-91 wagoneer axles are very good for upgrades. The rear is a dana 44 with a perfectly centered pinion. I had to go to this axle on my old cj7 when the scout dana 44 that I put in caused too much of a compound driveline side angle (the pinion on scout axles is offset 2 inches to one side). I am putting an 87 rear wagoneer axle in my scrambler that I am fixing up. The rear 44 on these is 58.5 inches wide, and the front is a bit wider. The front is also a dana 44 with the drivers side offset and no disconnects. I just sold one of these to a guy for his jeep, I should have kept it for my XJ or my sons MJ.
Dave

Thanks for the info. One of the guys says the front (from an '87) has the "big d44 bearings and spindles." Do all the '87-'91 have the big bearings and spindles?

Back