• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 wagoneer swap questions

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 cherokee with NP231 transfer case (no SYE) dana 30 front axle and chrysler 8.25 27 spline axle in the rear with a lock rite in it. The dana 30 is a vacuum disconeect that I have put a posilock in but my jeep is rusting out bad and is all banged up. I also have a 4.5 inch lift and 32inch BFG KM2's on it. I have found a 86 wagoneer with 2.8V6 engine in it that is in wonderful shape it has 175K miles solid dana 30 front axle and I believe a dana 35 rear axle and NP 228 transfer case. The guy only wants $700 for the wagoneer and it has no rust, the floor boards are solid. My question is the wagoneer worth the $700 bucks? Also which parts would I want to take swap out of my 88 into the wagoneer before I sell the 88. Is it worth my time or should I keep looking? I know the dana 35 is a turd and the V6 is a turd but I cant find out much about the NP 228 but i know it doesnt need a SYE kit like my 231 does. Also I know the solid Dana 30 is better than my vacuum disconnect one. Please give me some insight.

Well, you left out the part about what engine you have in your 88. If it is a 4.0, I believe you may have to sledgehammer adjust the firewall to fit the 4.0 in the 86. Not 100 % sure on the 86, but that is the way it is for the 84-85. It has been done successfully by others.

Wagoneers seem to be quite popular with some people. Maybe it should be left intact and fixed up and sold, others on here can give more info on that.

So, if you decide to go for it I would just swap everything into the 86--engine, trans, t/case, rear axle, fuel pump, engine management wiring, and keep the non-disco D30,

It has the 2.8L V6 engine. What I was thinking is to put my 4.0L engine tranny transfer case (do you think the NP 231 with out SYE or the 228 would be better) and Chrysler 8.25 into the wagoneer. What kinds of issues other than the motor mounts do you think I will run into.

Any Ideas about which transfer case to use; I plan on having a 6.5 in long arm kit so If I keep the 231 I have to get a SYE, the stock case on the wagoneer has Ujoint hook up to the drive shaft and the flex joint is in the driveshaft i.e. no replacement required. Is the 231 that much better to that its worth buying a new SYE kit and new rear driveshaft. I'm really not sure what the difference is between the two transfer cases and the advantages and disadvantages to each

The NP228 (and NP229) is a full time 4wd capable case, whereas the NP231 isn't. Also, I'm not too sure that the 228 would be a direct bolt in for the 231 or not, as there's more than likely spline count issues, or even output shaft length issues. The real determining factor on which case to use is up to you and how you're going to be using it. Lots of dry road driving and minimal wheeling, I'd go with the 231. If you see a lot of snow/ice/mud while daily driving, I'd go with the 228 so it can be left in 4hi full-time mode. General consensus is usually going to say that for wheeling, the full-time cases aren't a great option, but doable.

Onto whether or not an '86 Waggy is worth the price, if there's not much rust, and you have a viable donor already, I'd say it's worth it. As for firewall clearances, it depends on the build date whether it's needed or not. In mid '86 they started making the firewall accommodations for the 4.0L to be released in the '87s.

Back