• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8" or 10" wheel width.

8" up to 13.5" wide tire or so...

LOL @ Jes... he has a very good point. I know how sucky it is to go forward with mismatched spares... and on occasion not just my own. Having a 5th matching is lazy/smart... plus it allows you to rotate a fresh one in every so often to maybe increase tread life

kid4lyf said:
35-12.50X15 tires.
What size would you recommend for low air pressures?

another vote for 8"

but, if you go to 13.50's, 10" is PERFECT. just mounted my 36x13.50's on 15x10 beadlocks yesterday, and it is ideal.

Not to steal this tread but been looking at a set of 31x12.50x15 boggers.
I already have a set of 15x8 Black Crager 352 wheels. i know its ok to put some 12.50's on an 8" wheel but was concerned with the 31's that there is not enough sidewall to mount them.Any help.

I run a 10" wheel. Haven't popped a bead yet. This is about 9 psi
flexedtire.jpg

7" steelie and get Longfield to send you one of his lock sets, then it'll be 8.5". You'll still have locks with half the expense.

Fore Wheeler said:
can someone explain what a spare is used for??

I think it's for rich kids that need to spend more money. :D

It's for people that don't run swampers :D

If the 10" wheel is a beadlock? Does that change anyone's opinion? I have a set of 8" and a set of 10" wheels and I am trying to decide which set to send to Champion to get beadlocked?

Champion increases the width a whole inch i believe, it may be .5" though.

I would still go with the 8" rim. I say that, but I have a set of weld 10" sitting in the garage going to Champion. If i had the choice, i would use 8"

8".

Neither. I'm mounting up my 35x12.5's on 15x7 wheels. Several peeps in my club have run the same combo with good success. So, my vote is for 7".;)

So what would be the advantages of the 10" width if any. Stability, footprint width, etc....???? Sounds like even with the beadlock, the 8" is the way to go. I called Champion and they said that their beadlock kit doesn't necessarily add any width. The inner ring is about 1/2" thick, but they cut back 1/2" to make up for it. If you prefer they could not cut back that 1/2" and only in that instance would you get any extra width. But that isn't typical.

1toughxj said:
So what would be the advantages of the 10" width if any. Stability, footprint width, etc....????

Different terrain...

If you run in deep mud and swamps the thicker foot prints help a bunch!!! The bigger contact area disperse a large amount of surface weight which helps to keep you up and out of the majority of the ruts created by other vehicles. Also, if you run a 15x10 you get a more even pattern of wear on the street at higher air pressure. The MPG is hardly noticeable, but I like aired up tires on the street for cornering. (Thats just a personal preference tho as I don't have the luxury of wheeling 20-30 days a month...its more like 2-3 :tear: ) The general rule of thumb is 2.5"-4.5" difference between tire and wheel is optimal. So basically, 12.5" tire is the max you want for a 8" rim and the smallest you want a 10" rim. Personal preference will vary, but 5"+ of difference begins to put an enormous amount of stress on the sidewalls...and sidewall blow outs are scary....especially at speed!

As for the airing down, I used to run 35x12.50 SSRs on 15x10 wheels at 8 PSI on conditions ranging from the Florida Everglades to Tellico Plains, NC and never threw a bead. I'd drive it on the highway at 15psi tho....SSR's have bitchin sidewall strength...so that helps. I've seen them run at 0psi without an issue...but that was on a beadlock =)

jeepjay90 said:
so a 36x13.5 swamper would be good on a 15x10?
Most likely.
If you have 10" rims, don't worry, just don't air down past 10psi and don't get too nasty.
I would still run 13.5s on 8" rims, before I would buy 10" units.
Hell, I run 35x12.5 on 8"ers at 8psi and burp every one of them, at least, two or three times per day.

This reminds me, I need to replace a valve stem.....
Funny thing about that is, it's torn, almost in half and it leaks, but only when pushed over to one side.
At any higher pressure, it'd probably leak itself down to 8psi.:D

OT said:
Most likely.
If you have 10" rims, don't worry, just don't air down past 10psi and don't get too nasty.
I would still run 13.5s on 8" rims, before I would buy 10" units.
Hell, I run 35x12.5 on 8"ers at 8psi and burp every one of them, at least, two or three times per day.

This reminds me, I need to replace a valve stem.....
Funny thing about that is, it's torn, almost in half and it leaks, but only when pushed over to one side.
At any higher pressure, it'd probably leak itself down to 8psi.:D
You still havent changed that? Lazy bastard.

No, Mark shot a new one into that wheel with his cool little valve stem injector.
This is a different one, that I messed up in Disney.

Back