• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep1947 said:
Ok, I am on a tight budget but I can see $50 for MORE spring perches. My other concern is the major offset diff. I am stock now, but will be installing a 4.5-5" lift and dont have the money for a sye and ds so will i have a problem with major vibrations because this is a DD. I was wondering if i could just give about 4* more than stock pinion angle to cancel out the vibrations. I also heard the the new ds people get with the sye have more problems with this swap than people with stock ds.

If you are planning on lifting it that much, you should probably wait until you have the $$ for the sye and ds. I've never had problems/vibes with my sye, ds and 8.8 combo. The diff offset is not major, maybe 3". The cv ds more than makes up for that. There are vendors on PBB that have the sye's for less than $200.

flexj said:
The diff offset is not major, maybe 3". The cv ds more than makes up for that. There are vendors on PBB that have the sye's for less than $200.

no - the CV ds is harmed by that... when setting up a "cv" (double cardan) driveshaft - you point the pinion right at the t-case so that the lower u joint has no angle and the upper u-joints have all the angle - so that the only part of the driveshaft that speeds up and slows down is the upper joint.
with an offset pinion, you cant achieve this 0 angle in ALL directions in the lowe u-joint.
This is actualy BAD for the u-joints and will cause more vibes all on paper of course, but - still your info is incorect...

thanks guys all of this is playing a big part in my final thought about doing the swap, the fact that the ABS is able to be sustained is sweet but it sounds kinda coplicated so if you have a write up on that, that would be great. Just really worried about this bc it is the first swat i will be doing. Its all good though.

bj-666 said:
well maby i'm missing something buy why would you go thru the trouble of building an 8.8 to fit under your xj, buy the most expensive mounts possible. and not WELD THE TUBES TO THE HOUSING. in just about every write up about and 8.8 everyone tells you to weld the tubes to the housing. like i said maby i just can't see the welds but if you did all that work without welding the tubes that's just plain dumb

no worries...the tubes were welded when all the welding was done. those pics are just of the stuck tacked in place before I took it to get finish welded. you can't really see it at all in the finished and painted pic, but they are welded.

XJ_ranger said:
no - the CV ds is harmed by that... when setting up a "cv" (double cardan) driveshaft - you point the pinion right at the t-case so that the lower u joint has no angle and the upper u-joints have all the angle - so that the only part of the driveshaft that speeds up and slows down is the upper joint.
with an offset pinion, you cant achieve this 0 angle in ALL directions in the lowe u-joint.
This is actualy BAD for the u-joints and will cause more vibes all on paper of course, but - still your info is incorect...

So, what this means is that a double cardan DS is bad with that much of an off-set dif. I was under the impression that the double cardan DS was what you were supposed to use with a sye. What i am thinking now is to get the sye and just have the stock DS extended and balenced. Will this work best for the 8.8 swap with my plans of 4.5-5" lift soon and up to 6" in the future?

spend the money on a sye because it eliminates a weak spot in the drive line then it is up to you weather you want to use a cv shaft or not just make sure that either way both shafts must be able to slip so as not to push the engine out the front of the truck

PS i have an 8.8 out of an explorer with a sye and cv shaft with no vibes

jeep1947 said:
So, what this means is that a double cardan DS is bad with that much of an off-set dif. I was under the impression that the double cardan DS was what you were supposed to use with a sye. What i am thinking now is to get the sye and just have the stock DS extended and balenced. Will this work best for the 8.8 swap with my plans of 4.5-5" lift soon and up to 6" in the future?
if you eliminate the slip at the transfer case you must use a slip in the shaft. you could get a rear DS from a Waggy and have that cut down, it has the right u-joints, a slip, but no "CV".

jeep1947 said:

a double cardan shaft is not "bad" with an offset diff just plan on replacing u-joints more often than everyone else...

No, using the stock rear shaft with a SYE (slip yoke ELIMINATOR)
eliminator is the key term here -
you need something somewhere that allows the shaft to get longer and shorter as the rear end flex's up and down.
By removing the slip yoke from the t-case output, you create a much stronger output that will not bind so easily -
So you have to put a "slip yoke" in the driveshaft to account for this. The stock shaft doesnt have a slip yoke - and paying to have one put in would cost more than a new shaft...

BrettM said the same thing with a little less detail...

really want to know all about driveshafts and thier setup?
read here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

XJ_ranger said:

Key wording "all on paper". Real life experience has told me that the slight offset with a cv ds will not wear out ujoints prematurely. Proper PM will dictate that ujoints be replaced before they wear out anyway. However, I will concede that all XJ's are different and what works fine in mine, might not in someone else's. Mine is a trailer queen now anyway, so vibes and angles aren't an issue any more.

Yea, I was brain dead when I posted that part about reusing the stock rear DS. I read it again and laughed. You DO need the axle to be able to adjust itself, so just because of my tight budget what about having an extra front DS lengthened to fit. I have read about using these stock with the RE hack and tap, but I think I would rather pay the money to have it the right length and balanced as it is a DD. Thank you for pointing out my off the top of my head stupid comment:)

rember the output is a flange on the 8.8 and not a yoke like on the stock setup you will either convert the flange to a yoke or grab the part off the ds you pull the 8.8 away from and get a u-joint to accomadate the different sizes

The first time I went out with my 8.8 I smashed and destroyed my muffler. I actually had to cut it off to get home. The driveshaft runs a little too close with 4-5" of lift.

PS i have an 8.8 out of an explorer with a sye and cv shaft with no vibes

-AG

I just did a 8.8 swap into my 1988 Comanche yesterday. I used Mopar Performance spring perches from my local Dodge dealer, they were les than ten bucks for a pair and worked well.

Back