• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 with 35's?

How do the 4.56's do with the 35's? I've read alot of posts saying to go with 4.88's but I'd rather not go taller than I have to as it is my dd. Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

I too run 4.56's in my 8.25". I have aftermarket shafts and 35" rags. Automatic transmition. 231 TC. It does very well and I am very happy with the performance. Haven't broken a shaft, yet. Gears and tires match up very well.

I have put alot of thought into this and I really like the bolt in factor of the 8.25. That and most of the places that I have found 8.8's want more than $500 for them. I also don't have a place to fab up the brackets etc at the moment and I refuse to pay someone else to do something that I could do myself. I would like disc brakes though.......haha. It never ends.

I just paid 200 bucks installed for a 29 spline 8.25. They guy was giving me a deal though.
If you want discs and an 8.25 look for zj rears, just make sure you grab the purportioning valve (sorry spelling isn't my strong point). It is pretty much a bolt up project. You have to clearance the backing plate but that aint much. I know there is also some talk of the KJ rear disc's being able to be used. I would think that would be a bolt up application since the only axles under the KJ are a 29 spline 8.25.
The only hang up on the KJ brakes is that you can't find a 15" rim for the KJ's due too the size of the calipers. You may have to step up to a 16" rim to make that happen. That may not be an issue if you are wanting to run 35's you will probally be purchaseing new wheels anyways.

Parakeet

If you drive mostly city and off road then 4.88s w/ 35s, if you drive a lot of hwy then stick with 4.56.
I have 4.56s and 35s and im happy with it the way it is for my needs, Ive driven XJs with 4.88s and in hilly terrain its nice, but 3k at 70mph on the hwy sucks.

And an 8.25 should only cost around $200 from a junk yard. Dont call salvage yards where they already have pulled the parts, they are a rip off.

Thanks for all the input guys. Good to know about the potential disc brake combinations for the 8.25. I'd like to stick with a 15" rim so i'd probably just go with the ZJ rears. As far as gears go, I don't remember ever reading anything about it but what was the highest (numerically) gears that the 8.25 came with? Not that I'm really gonna be picky about it except for overall condition and price but it would be nice to know just incase.

3k at 70mph on the hwy sucks.

:bs: I have 4.88s and 33s and I'm not even doing 3k at 70 mph. I'm doing like 2800.

With 35s you'll be doing 70 mph at pretty much exactly 2500 rpm.

BudgetXJ said:
As far as gears go, I don't remember ever reading anything about it but what was the highest (numerically) gears that the 8.25 came with? Not that I'm really gonna be picky about it except for overall condition and price but it would be nice to know just incase.

From the factory? Deepest I've personally seen are 4:10s (2.5/AX-5). You can get 4.88s from the aftermarket now as well, whereas 4.56 was the limit until then.

If you want 35s, I'd go 4.88s and never look back. But then again, I rarely go faster than 75 mph in my jeep.

I just found a d44 from an 87 with the same gears as I have in the heep now. Everythings there except the brakes. I can take the brakes off a grand cherokee for that right? I think I'll probably jump on this one. Thanks for your input. Keep it coming if you have anything to add.

Other than stock(for the year range),all others will require some "modding".

Explorer Brakes. I think someone on a thread on here mentioned using ZJ rotors. MarkW I think?

You have to enlarge the center hole in the explorer rotor to fit over the D44 axle's center hub, and even then I think mine still doesn't fit correctly.

How do the 4.56's do with the 35's? I've read alot of posts saying to go with 4.88's but I'd rather not go taller than I have to as it is my dd. Do you have a manual or automatic transmission?

I run dd and trails with the 4.56. Honestly if I were to set it up myself, I would set 4.88s. It just doesn't have the low end I want, but it does to decent on the interstate (about 18-19 mpg) It is an auto trans as well

as already mentioned, definitely get upgraded axle shafts and 35s will be fine if you dont bind em too bad.

Ive been running 33s with 4.56s, Alloy USA 1430 hardened shafts and a detroit locker. Considering 35s but figured I have other things that need upgrading first.

Back