• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 locker

Rod Knee said:
I think there's another option....alloy shaft 27 spline with Powertrax or lock-right.

Better option!:cheers:

The "alloy" aftermarket shafts for the 8.25 ARE NOT your typical 4140 Chromoly... they're 1541 steel replacement shafts (stock material but hardened I believe... 4140 is head over hills a better material than 1541)... But, they do come w/ the same Alloy USA 10 year warranty if you break a shaft... I think you can get them w/ bearings/wheel studs already assembled from DC4WD.com for around 200.00 shipped...

OR just pull a pair of Junk Yard shafts for probably arond $20.00....

Or better yet... haul off someone's 27 spline 8.25 and pull the shafts for free...

Last edited:
polar_jeep_04 said:
does anyone have a link on where to buy the 4140 alloy usa shafts for the 29 spliner? i remeber seeing them for 299 but dont know where

You can only get chromoly for full or semi floaters!! The upgrade shafts for the 8.25 a not just replacements, they are a better alloy and about twice as strong as stock! They are not chromoly but the next best thing! The axel in the 8.25 needs to have some flex to it and chromoly is just to hard!

ColoradoRaptor said:
You can only get chromoly for full or semi floaters!! The upgrade shafts for the 8.25 a not just replacements, they are about twice as strong as stock! They are not chromoly but the next best thing!

15% stronger, not twice..

cal said:
15% stronger, not twice..

I thought it was a bit more than that but it is still better than stock! Thanks Cal!:D

ColoradoRaptor said:
I thought it was a bit more than that but it is still better than stock! Thanks Cal!:D

Yeah, I'd run them with 35's outside of JV without a second thought.

cal said:
Yeah, I'd run them with 35's outside of JV without a second thought.

When I snap my stockers I will give'em a workout!!

ColoradoRaptor said:
You can only get chromoly for full or semi floaters!! The upgrade shafts for the 8.25 a not just replacements, they are a better alloy and about twice as strong as stock! They are not chromoly but the next best thing! The axel in the 8.25 needs to have some flex to it and chromoly is just to hard!

I'm pretty sure 1541 is stock axle material maybe not for the XJ but for some reason I think it's a typical "oem" material...

The Alloy USA shafts are still a good idea b/c of the warranty.. but for a 27 spline 8.25 you can find shafts for free all day long around here.... people give them away...

Got a spear set of 27splined safts for $10 today. And there was plenty more.

Most stock axle shafts are 10 series steel. Like 1018 or similar. Some are 1541 though.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that 29 spline 8.25 shafts need bearings pressed on, which is not the case. The bearings and seals are pressed in the bearing housing on the axle end. A hammer and race installer works great.

Rod Knee said:
Yes, that's what I've been looking at for my "96 (27 spline). Seems a bit simpler solution than changing carrier.

Are you positive that you have the 27 spline version?? I thought my 96 had 27 splines, and didn't find out until the 29 spline shafts wouldn't fit into the 27 spline locker-rite...DOH!!

FLAGXJ said:
Is there a way to tell the spline count without taking the diff cover off and checking inside?

It's definitley worth pulling one of the shafts out and checking. See above for why.

mjma said:
Are you positive that you have the 27 spline version?? I thought my 96 had 27 splines, and didn't find out until the 29 spline shafts wouldn't fit into the 27 spline locker-rite...DOH!!

My "96 has a build date in "95. From what I understand, only a relatively small number of the 96's had 29 spline, and they were all built late in that model year production. So, I've assumed I have 27 spline but have actually never checked.

It would be interesting to see your actual production date. It would be on your drivers door jam.

Rod Knee said:
It would be interesting to see your actual production date. It would be on your drivers door jam.

I'm at work right now and I drove my 99 here today! I'll have to get back to you when I get home.

I also heard that theory about production dates....but IIRC, my determination from my build date was that I had 27 spline. However, that turned out to be incorrect. In terms of anything jeep, IMO, you can't rely on a build date or anything for what part you may have. I don't think there are definite dates after which they switched from one thing to the other. I think things happen more like phasing out with a mixing period in between. There is no logic, rhyme, or reason to it.

jaburk said:

Thats what I thought also.Don't know where he got 15% from.One thing I always wondered is if you put in the upgraded 27spline shafts wouldn't that put you into 29spline strength since they are 35% stronger?Plus you get the 10year warranty.

Let me put it this way percent wise how much stronger are stock 29spline shafts compared to stock 27spline?

outlander said:
Thats what I thought also.Don't know where he got 15% from.One thing I always wondered is if you put in the upgraded 27spline shafts wouldn't that put you into 29spline strength since they are 35% stronger?Plus you get the 10year warranty.

Let me put it this way percent wise how much stronger are stock 29spline shafts compared to stock 27spline?

The key wording in all this is "UP TO 35% STRONGER"... I've seen testing stating 15% gains in strength also.... I mean they could say up to 100% stronger and still be legit... Yes its a better steel than stock but how much better.... no much in my opinion.. + spare shafts for a 8.25 are dirt cheap and most already have the wheel studs and decent bearings already pressed on...

Back