• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 c clip eliminators

So I've read(no way to confirm) that libertys and commanders 8.25 are semi float(not sure about liberty but I know I've read commanders supposedly are) so no C-clip. if this was true, I wonder how interchangeable the parts are? Food for thought

C clip axles are semi float

FYI, Commanders (and similar year Grands) use only 2 versions on the 8 1/4. The one in the Quadra Drive 2 is elongated due to an electric diff, but it is still an 8 1/4.

--Matt

That's what I thought as I remember reading it years ago and had the thought of finding one and swapping it in or seeing if it's compatible with ours on parts swapping.

my bad. I was under the impression that they used the same axle as the WK

You are correct about that. The WK and XK are "roughly" the same platform. They use the same drive-train.

A little more useless info. Another reported name for the 8 1/4" and 8 1/4" w/tumor is the AAM 830. Coincidentally the 8 1/4" ring gear is actually 8.3". Clever AAM, we see what you did there.

Another note, and I don't know what folks have been seeing lately surrounding AAM quality. When Chrysler and GM switched to AAM quality apparently plummeted. Most techs and drive-train guys where saying please bring back Dana axles, the AAM replacements are just not as good.

--Matt

So with all this info, is it possible to swap the bearing plate and shafts over to a c-clip 8.25? I'm not going to do it but my curiosity has peaked on this

i think c-clip eliminator kits are a waste of money for the most part ( in the recreational offroad world at least ). they arent intended to make it possible for you to drive home with a broken shaft.. they are intended to keep the axle from walking out when it breaks.
the Jeep that breaks a shaft on the trail can limp itself to a safe place to make the repairs, and even off the trail if you are industrious enough to come up with a way to hold the axle in place. but i would venture to say that a broken axle shaft doesnt really increase the overall danger of the immediate situation, although it does complicate things.

the guy who needs eliminators is the guy running a built V8 in a Mustang on the drag strip and breaks a shaft at the 100' mark under full throttle.
that is the guy that NEEDS his rear wheels to stay in place and not walk out of the housing..... save your money.
c-clips dont fail..... weak shafts fail. spend the $$ on quality shafts or upgrade to a better axle.

Back