• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 - Best Lunchbox Locker?? Opinions Needed!!

I agree, the aussie is still based on the original design similar to the lockrigtht.

as far as the no-slip and knowing when to rebuild it. it just won't seem right. it will lock and pop more than it use to.

Had a no slip for two years and loved it. It started acting up so I bought a spring kit and put it in. But it turned out that it had broken some of the small teeth off(don't remember exactly which piece). From the previous posts my experience sounds like an isolated case. But I replaced it with detroit and it isn't much louder than the no-slip our harsher on the street, just more expensive.

riggersxj said:
is their much road noise with the no slip
pretty sure that was covered in this thread, but anyways no there is not. you cant go wrong with it

IH8RDS said:
I have not seen the Aussie and NO-SLIP side by side but I will tell you this. They dont make a LOCK-RIGHT for the 29 spine as said in the previous post. The NO-SLIP is way beefier then the LOCK-RITE. Your comparing apples to oranges when you compare AUSSIE to LOCK-RITE.

Eh, you're right. I must have been sleeping when I wrote that post cause I thought someone asked about a comparison between Aussie and the lockright... my bad!

K, so I am sold on this now.......second question, I am upgrading to 29 SPline....where can i get some shafts for it?

I just e-mailed the Aussie technicians, got this response as for my 2001 cherokee (29 spline 8.25....well actually, there is a D35 under it but an 8.25 withe discs sitting in my garage waiting for u-bolts and brake pads)

"Yes we will have the Chrysler 8.25 Aussie Locker. Best estimate is September late for availablity. We appreciate your interest in the Aussie Locker."

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I just e-mailed the Aussie technicians, got this response as for my 2001 cherokee (29 spline 8.25....well actually, there is a D35 under it but an 8.25 withe discs sitting in my garage waiting for u-bolts and brake pads)

"Yes we will have the Chrysler 8.25 Aussie Locker. Best estimate is September late for availablity. We appreciate your interest in the Aussie Locker."

This is about the same response I got from their sales dept. I am debating the wait, I have heard the aussie is MUCH smoother than a lock rite, but obviously not as smooth as the no slip. The question is is it worth about $150 more for a smoother locker? I have heard nothing but good about the aussie, and few complaints about the no slip.

tcm glx said:
K, so I am sold on this now.......second question, I am upgrading to 29 SPline....where can i get some shafts for it?

If you are upgrading the 8.25 from 27spline to 29 spline, you'll need a new carrier as well.

Depending on what/where you go for the carrier, you might as well buy a Detroit.

bburge

Bill is right. the cost of a noslip and new carrier is not much off from a detroit.
detroit it and be done with it.
bburge said:
If you are upgrading the 8.25 from 27spline to 29 spline, you'll need a new carrier as well.

Depending on what/where you go for the carrier, you might as well buy a Detroit.

bburge

Rawbrown said:
Bill is right. the cost of a noslip and new carrier is not much off from a detroit.
detroit it and be done with it.

The Detroit True Trac??

um no. that would be the truetrac from tractech.
which also makes the deroit no-spin, the detroit ez locker, the detroit E-lectrac...

bburge said:

bburge
So the No Slip everyone here is talking about, is that one spline specific or not.....I do want to upgrade to 29 spline anyways!! I am, confused now :(

Rawbrown said:
um no. that would be the truetrac from tractech.
which also makes the deroit no-spin, the detroit ez locker, the detroit E-lectrac...
HELP RYAN!!!!

I've been thinking of doing the 27 to 29 spline swap in my 8.25, but how easy is it? Can it be done with basic tools and no real experience working with gears?

LOL...
OK, the no-slip is made by richmond gear. it is similar in looks to the lockright, ez locker, aussie locker, quicklock... it like an evolved lockright containing more parts that make it work much quieter. aussie locker having tighter tolerances and such still doesn't make it compare to a no-slip.
they are all a lunch box locker meaning that they fit inside the carrier and replace the spider and side gears. they are limited in strength to the carrier itself and the crosspin.
stepping up means a full carrier replacement locker or LSD. the detroit no-spin by tractech, the truetrac LS by tractech, the ARB, OX, Eaton, Auburn units as well. but at a greater cost.
spline count is allways different but very specific. you currently have a 27 spline 8.25 and you want the extra strength of stepping up to 29 spline shafts. the 27 spline carrier will not fit the 29 spline shafts without machine work. so you either need to machine your 27 spline carrier to fit the 29 spline shafts or get a 29 spline carrier. which can be kinda pricey.
add that to the $350 tag that someone quoted on the no-slip and you come within full replacemt carrier locker range.

Back