• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7" lift for under 200 (so far)

Kejtar said:
What good is the 3K winch going to do you in the rear?

With 3 kids, a wife and two dogs where are you going to fit all that? Look into dragging a trailer behind you.

3k winch to back you out before you need the 12k to pull you through

I tried the trailer but but my wife would not ride back there

xj trenton said:
3k winch to back you out before you need the 12k to pull you through
If you can't go backwards under your own power that means that you should have used a real locker and not an ABS setup ;) Ok, on a serious note: if you're stuck and can't go back than the 3K winch will be dangerous as it will not be nowhere near close to what is needed to handle the weight (especially with all that cargo!).
I tried the trailer but but my wife would not ride back there
well.... in that case, good luck to you when you start loading. Cramming things in just so they're there doesn't work cause you won't want to unload EVERYTHING just to get that one small part that's buried someplace deep. Also when you load it up to the point that you're describing your weight distribution and everything is going out the window.
In regards to trailers? They make somre really nice off road cargo trailers which if you have time you could copy. Some of the benefits are the fact that you can move a lot of the weight out of the vehicle onto the trailer and you can run same tire size as the vehicle so in a pinch you could ditch the trailer and run on it's tires if you shredded all your spares. Also that gives you the ability to setup a base camp and explore without all the extra load.

thank you kejter I like the idea if a trailer I plan on towing the jeep out with my dodge and camper then go from there like a base camp but I like to run a longways out

About the 3K winch; that is still a lot stronger then I am and I have still tried pushing a vehicle out when I got it stuck, so the way I see it, it is a big step up from that. If I had the winch I may throw it on and replace with a better one later but I wouldn't spend money on a poor tool for the job.

uspsamaster said:
About the 3K winch; that is still a lot stronger then I am and I have still tried pushing a vehicle out when I got it stuck, so the way I see it, it is a big step up from that. If I had the winch I may throw it on and replace with a better one later but I wouldn't spend money on a poor tool for the job.
Sure and if something gives and snaps and someone gets hurt? When selecting a winch you have to take into account the weight and a lot more. Read this about resistance and recovery techniques before you attempt anything with that 3K winch.

Ive had 3K winchs not be able to pull out my fourwheeler, theyll do NOTHING with your truck. Seems a little useless.

Why bother with the ABS traction control. If its just a mud buggy weld it up!

i agree that there are 3+ lift block on full size trucks especially on the f250 and up fords. if you have a 12k winch and cant afford a second winch why not make a multi mount and make a front reciever set up and some sort of quick disconnects for the power leads? i think a ladder bar will help witht he spring wrap problem they are common on lifted fullsize trucks with added power. sounds like a fun project but i would try to get steel blocks or another thing i have seen done is incorporate a taller spring perch that is longer to prevent axle wrap.

as pointless as this is gonna be for me to post up im going to do it anyway

my main points:

-it's going to be a mud truck, do not even try to apply the rules of how you all think a jeep should be built. Sounds like he's building an old xj to do what he wants it to do, ride like crap, be pieced together, like any mud vehicle.

-Why so much lift?? because it's a mud buggy and it will most likely never see a rolling situation. lifting a mud vehicle is about getting the body up high and out of the muck.

-I agree that a 3k winch probably wont do much but i understand where he's coming from. I would go w/ a 5-8k model though, but if you have a 3k lying around i would put it on there, it might come in handy around camp.

-if it will strictly be mud, then welding would be the cheapest and most absolute lock but you might break more stuff. Do whatever works

-lift blocks... go for it, it sounds like your gonna beef up your leaf setup to match, but you might truss the pumpkin and fab some sort of traction bar

Does anyone have any pictures of what axle wrap might look like? Cause I hear about it all the time but have yet to see it on anything. Plus how long would a 4" block make your leaf springs do that? A week, a year, 10? Just wondering.

PoSxJ said:
Does anyone have any pictures of what axle wrap might look like? Cause I hear about it all the time but have yet to see it on anything. Plus how long would a 4" block make your leaf springs do that? A week, a year, 10? Just wondering.
Axle wrap if you want to know what it looks like take a wire coat hanger and straigten it out. Put it through the boxed end of a wrench untill the wrench is in the middle. Support both ends of the wire so the wrench hangs freely in the middle. Now grab the wrench close to the wire and twist it back and forth keep moving your grip farther down the wrench while twisting. This is what is happening to your leaf springs when you accelerate and brake. And the farther down on the wrench you grab the easier the wire bends just like your leaf spring will with the lift block. Factory XJ's have very soft springs this is why you should not use a lift block with them they fail rather quickly with out any help. This is evedent with all the sagging XJ's on the road. If you want to use blocks on anything you need to make shure that the springs are strong to be able to keep axlewrap to a minimum. The down side is your soft riding and super flexy axle articulating XJ will now ride like a 3/4 ton truck like a buck board un less loaded down.

Would it be worth putting traction bars on an xj? I found a cheap set of blocks and a set of double traction bars of a blazer. Probably do the whole set up for about $30. The rear of my xj sags a little, and would like a temporary fix till I can build my leaf pack like I want.

PoSxJ said:
Would it be worth putting traction bars on an xj? I found a cheap set of blocks and a set of double traction bars of a blazer. Probably do the whole set up for about $30. The rear of my xj sags a little, and would like a temporary fix till I can build my leaf pack like I want.
try anything once if it works for what you want then I say go for it whats the worst thing wased 30 and some time you can also build a bastard leaf pack and not lose the ground clearance

Where in AB are you? have you checked out this site from Calgary?

www.4wheeler.ca

Has a pretty good classified and tech section.

BTW for your HD leaf packs what will you be using for a main leaf? The stock XJ main leaf most likely won't survive a 4" block even with 1/2ton overloads on it. I used a 1.5" block with some 1/2 ton leafs mixed into the stock leaf pack. Ran this way for about a year with 31" tires before both main leafs cracked right where the center bolt hole is drilled.

If all you want to run is 33s I would suggest aiming for 5" and do some fender trimming. Since you won't be articulating you don't need a lot of clearance. 5" will be way less hassle.

Back