• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

67 CJ

no one here is getting upset... this is good typical naxja conversing :D

and as a thought of keeping the essence the same you could always replace the flat head with a newer 2.5L 4 banger and gear everything super high to compensate.

i believe jp mag did an article on gearing verses engine mods with the 4 cyl ... turns out your get more hp out of gears than engine mods for the same money when it comes to the 4 banger... i digress

i would say go with another 4 banger or the buick v6 that is really short... personally i would do the 4 banger from a 90's wrangler and do a better tranny and a 4:1 transfer case with 5.38's in the axles (axles are up to you) and then you would be able to get a more reliable engine but still be able to push it up a hill on some rocks.

Well I don't understand why it is that people can't just open up and BS about something? It's happened on all the websites and forums that I've been to with "this belongs here" and "why are you even mentioning that on a site like this?" But I digress also.

I did think about the 2.5L or even the 3.(whatever that's in the new jeeps). What I like about the 4.3 chevy motor is just the ease of getting it in and running well. I like the ability of having a little more power from the 6 cylinder. The stock axles are already 5.38 gears, so I think that the gearing is good, and the axles are strong enough for the tires I have, so when I upsize and learn to drive the short wheelbase wonder then the axles may be addressed.
I think that the T90 tranny is pretty solid from the start, and Tyler would know about the transfer case than I do.

Wassup with that OD Tyler? you think it will work? Coming out firing with both barrels! I dont' use smileys so no winky winky from this man.

Well, It might work, the only way to know for sure is to pull the rear cover off the Dana 18, remove the large castle nut and remove the gear. Count the splines on the inside, and the teeth on the outside. Then I will know if it will work. The thing is, there were 3 different versions. Do you know what size the intermediate pin is? You can measure it where it sticks out of the back of the case. It will either be 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" let me know what size it is and I will try to use that info to get an idea. Chris, while the T-90 will hold up to the 4.3, it probably isn't the best choice for a trail tranny. I would swap in a SM465, AA just released a new adapter to mate it to a Dana 18 that is only 1" thick! It is by far the shortest on the market, and will allow you to have a rear driveshaft that is more than 8" long, lol. And the best part is, that the SM465 will bolt right up to the 4.3, and it has a granny gear for crawling, and well, lets just say that they were used behind big blocks and deisels in Dump trucks, so the 4.3 will never break it. However, if you do decide to use a T90, I have one that came out of mine that doesn't jump out of 2nd gear (like every other one I have ever seen) and it already has the AA to mate it to the 4.3, as well as the Scout input shaft (it is needed to swap, but not included in the adapter kit) installed. So, it will bolt up to a chevy as it sits. I actually ran it for a couple years behind my 4.3, but swapped it out because I wanted more gear. The T-case should be fine with a freshening up. I broke the low range sliding gear and intermediate gear in one behind my new (hopped up) 4.3, but later determined that the shift fork was out of adjustment and the gear was only engaging half way. When set up correctly, the Dana 18 is a very stout T-case. And Like you mentioned, the 4.3 is def an engine I am comfortable with installing, while I could make mounts for a 2.5 and could most likely get it wired and running, it is more complex. I believe in keeping things simple, so if something breaks on the trail, you can fix it easier. The TBI Chevy engines are as close to a carb setup as you could ever get, but still have true fuel injection. While the 3.8 JK motor would def. be unique, there is just no way that I could get that running properly with no codes, without an entire JK to get all the wiring and sensors etc from. It would be cool, but not worth the hassle in this situation.

Well ideally I'm going to build this thing so nothing goes wrong...but fat chance of that happening!
I wasn't sure about the T90, being a 3 speed and all, and I haven't done the research yet to see what's up with the gearing in it. However I do trust your opinion so far, so I'll see what I can come up with. I may have to just grin and bear it and deal with the I4 and the T90 for now, then aquire parts and what I need for a complete rebuild.
Good thing about where I am is that I get a bonus for being here, bad thing is that I have no idea when I'm leaving. PM me about that price for the tranny and I'll see how that goes.
Fuel injection is a must, I'd like the ease of the carb, but when it boils down to it...I'd just rather have FI for the trails.
And about the 3.8 Well, If I had a JK motor and harness it would probably be attached to the rest of the jeep with some damage, and that would be a build in itself...why bother putting the motor and wiring harness in a CJ just to do it when the JK could be a badass rig as it is. No fenders, minimal lift, 38's?

My point exactly Chris. I think the 4.3 has your name written all over it. Lol. I'll send you a PM about the trans.

Well ideally I'm going to build this thing so nothing goes wrong...but fat chance of that happening!
I may have to just grin and bear it and deal with the I4 and the T90 for now, then aquire parts and what I need for a complete rebuild.

The beauty of a 2.5L FI set up is they are cheap. I bought an entire 94 drivetrain for $75 on ebay. Swapped it in an 84 xj. Ran it for 4 or 5 years and eventually with 36's on the D44/9" combo I just swaped out. Worked great IMHO. Never really broke anything much with the 4 popper after I went to the D44/9" combo and its not that hard to do as long as you dont go exoctic like I did with the 3 link long arms.

Tossing around the idea of sourcing a motor with air conditioning, I think the possibility of having a jeep with onboard air is a good idea. And it's cheaper than that Warn winch that has the compressor on it, even though I really like it and want one!
Also would like to run 110 amp alt and a dual battery setup.

Question. What's the legality issues of having a fuel cell in the rear seat area. I've said that the back seat is coming out and that's where the fuel cell (and probably an air tank) will be going. Along with some sort of tool box...maybe a few ammo cans.

BTW, being 2000 miles away from the jeeps is hard when planning something like this.

Tossing around the idea of sourcing a motor with air conditioning, I think the possibility of having a jeep with onboard air is a good idea. And it's cheaper than that Warn winch that has the compressor on it, even though I really like it and want one!
Also would like to run 110 amp alt and a dual battery setup.

Question. What's the legality issues of having a fuel cell in the rear seat area. I've said that the back seat is coming out and that's where the fuel cell (and probably an air tank) will be going. Along with some sort of tool box...maybe a few ammo cans.

BTW, being 2000 miles away from the jeeps is hard when planning something like this.

Does TN have an inspection? If so you may have trouble. All depends on the laws of the state and weather or not you have an inspection. In S.C. with a vin and title you can perty much do what you want since we do not have an inspection.

I'm a new resident of TN. I know in WV there's no way I could run a fuel cell and have it be ok. That state has the strictest laws for vehicle issues! Well maybe not compared to Cali but still.
I'm really hoping for this thing to be street legal and have plates and insurance. I think there is a larger aftermarket gastank that can go under the seat. but the fuel pump and system would be a challenge. Have to see with time. I'm going to try to push this so it's drivable next summer. Depending on budget and Mr Tyler

not sure about if you even have to get it inspected, even if you are in an area that has inspections, due to the age of the vehicle... isnt there a law about only vehicles of a certain year and up have to be inspected?? not sure....

BUT i dont think you even have to have an ispection anyways because its not listed on the tn.gov website as a county that is required to do them... you might want to ask theBox or rredalty if they have to because i know they have been there alot long than yourself.

http://tennessee.gov/environment/apc/vehicle/index.shtml

Yeah I need to look into it. Fortunately the 'problem' could be a year away so this is just the initial look into this. I'm trying to figure out what problems I could have now and fix them before they arrive.

if your in tn you're gravy, bro! 76 is the cutoff for emissions! i have a buddy with a full tube buggy that has the cowl and hood from a 75 fj40 land cruiser, and he's street legal here! he's rockin a 383 stroker, turbo 350, and a stak 3speed and built dana 60's with 46'' iroks, and drives it to work 3-5 times a week! he has a plexiglass windshield that he uses on the street, and nobody messes with him...

75 is the cut off, anything 1975 or newer has to pass, but only in certain areas, and I don't think he lives in one of these areas... anyway, it doesn't matter since its a 67. as long as he has a title, its no big deal.

Which I do. and it'll have plates for it as soon as it's built. Maybe build a shelf to cover the stuff in the back...but other than that if I don't need it I'm not going to do anything extra. Already costing me enough as it is!

So I've been PM'ing Tyler about this project and I think I have a good bead on what's doing down.
As it's the super busy season and I can't even get home, let alone time home for working on any of my jeeps, or house work..
I'm just going to take the CJ to chatanooga for everything I need. I decided on a 4.3L chevy motor, wanted a little more pep. As much as I want a Ford motor, all the researching I've done points to funky problems with getting the Ford fuel injection to work, and there are some other headaches. The SM465 tranny and my T18 trans case.

"Blue" is getting the motor, trans, fuel cell and a new wiring harness put in. I hope a new steering column. I feel pretty lazy about this part...but I'm just going to get Tyler to get the parts and assemble this thing. Also going on are a set of the Holbrook longleafs, rancho rs9000 shocks. I have a spare set of 32" mud kings that will be going on for now, but I have a feeling that new axles and maybe larger tires will be in the future. And I'm going with the Saginaw steering upgrade and power steering while it's under the knife.
As an added bonus, the jeep came with a brand new set of lowback Bestop buckets that will be put on.
I have yet to take measurements and look, but I'd like at least a 15 gallon cell for fuel purposes. And I'll put on a yellow top to provide power.
I'm really looking forward to driving that thing. It should have a nice mix of all I'd want from a jeep, with the possibility of MUCH more with time (and overtime to finance the next stage).
And as the motor is basically new (according to the PO) I'm going to keep it and probably wrap it in plastic. May be a candidate for another project down the road or just to keep it if I decide to take this motor I'm putting in back out.

Last edited:
You can easily fit a 15 gallon, I have a 22 gallon cell in the Willys, and still have room for both batteries, a few spare parts, and fluids in the tub. However, I didn't have much room for tools this way, so I just built a removable rack to store tools on. I have a few more cool ideas that I will discuss with you when you bring the jeep down.

Sounds good man. if I ever get "released for good behavior"
though I can't complain too much...stress free OT here and hot women everywhere. it's financing most of the project!

Back