• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5"-6" lift what size front shocks do you run?

XJguy

NAXJA Forum User
Cant flex the XJ yet to get the correct measurement, but I want to get my shocks situation taken care of ASAP. I am going to do a conversion so that I have eye and BP shocks up front rather than the stud and BP. I'm currently at 5.5" and want to know what size shock those with about the same lift are running or would recommend?

I see lots of barely used TJ shocks available so this may be the route I take to save some $$. As always TIA.

XJguy

My freind Rob had rancho rs9012 up front. He cut through the original shock mount and mounted to a longer lower control arm bolt, with spacers. It worked great. He only had 5.5" lift too.

You don't need more than a 10.5" travel shock for 5.5" of lift. Total extended length should be around 27". Think RS9000's model 9010 in the rear and 9009 up front, or even better the Bilstein 5100 series in 10" length.

One thing to keep in mind is whether you want a stud style front shock or to use the stud elimintors, which increase total length by about an inch. I'd recommend using the stud eliminators and an eye to eye style shock to lessen the up travel by an inch, which will save you some fender/flare headache.

Nay

FYI I just warranteed a set of rancho 9000s.
26" ext and 16" collapsed for the front (minus the stud length) and a 25.5" 15.5" for the rear
10" travel ranchos will be coming in the mail in about a week. Gonna sell cheeep!
So if your gonna buy new shock sand like the rancho's hang on a bit :D
[Not hijacking I hope]
\\hoot

Back