• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd in the ice.

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry guys i didnt know where to put this post... Well my parents are being stupid and need to use my jeep to go to the store and they insist on needing 4wd. I was wondering if its bad to use 4wd when its just a little icey/slushy on the pavement?

Thanks

if you have the 231 t-case (2HI-4HI-N-4LO), its best to be VERY CAREFUL when in 4. the front and rear drive shafts are locked together, which causes problems when turning on non-slick pavement. if you have a 242 t-case (2HI-FULLTIME 4-PARTTIME 4-N-4LO) there are no problems as long as you use full time 4.
hth

its shift on the fly, so they should only have it in 4wd when absolutely necessary!!!

I doubt short trips are going to hurt it much. I crashed the wifes, shifting in and out of 4X. Got caught in a stretch of road when I should have been in 4X and bounced it off the guard rail accelerating to avoid another out of control vehicle.
I often used 4X after that probably unnecessarily on many occasions. Though I did avoid it when possible on long high speed runs.
I know one guy that forgot and left his in 4X (NP231) in October and finally completely lunched his NP 231 in March. Though he said he noticed increased noise in January sometime.
Tell your parents not to forget 4X doesn't help the braking a bit.

Yeah 2X on all of the above. The command-trac (231) system should not be used on dry pavement. If you have it engaged while making turns on dry you will get wheel hop, which is bad for the drive line. It took me a while to explain to my parents how the jeep 4X4 system works. They have been use to my dads Ford Explorer which is just a dial and is always set on auto. What I did is show them the Jeep 4x4 systems info on Jeep.com. Great video.

you need to explain to them that if they're on dry pavement, the need to be in 2wd. if they're on snowy/wet/icy pavement, 4wd. tell them it's shift on the fly (they can pull it into 4wd HI and shift outta 4wd HI while driving), but they need to be doing less than 45mph to shift (and preferably waaaaay lower). here's pics of what happens when you shift into 4wd on dry pavement.
n69205416_32366518_1792.jpg

n69205416_32366519_2097.jpg

n69205416_32366518_1792.jpg

There's no speed restriction when using 4hi.

Although watch out for on/off ramps if you do choose to use it at full speed.

As long as the on/off ramps are slick you'll be fine.

They were wet today and I didn't have any issues.

j99xj said:
But the 231 IS a better transfer case for deep snow...

explain?

I've been checking ice depth on a few local lakes and can say that i'm impressed with my 231. It's taken me down some pretty damn deep snowy trails lately. Although could someone tell Santa to bring me a 242?

Back